Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to minimize shifting while quilting on a longarm >
  • How to minimize shifting while quilting on a longarm

• How to minimize shifting while quilting on a longarm

Old 05-22-2016, 05:21 AM
    Power Poster

The first thing I would before loading this is sew a stay stitch around the entire perimeter. You have a lot of bias edges on that quilt and this will help to keep them from stretching out of shape. It might not be a bad idea to starch it heavily as well. You can then baste it on the longarm. Given the size is so small I would float the top and baste it with the LA using the largest stitch length your regulator has. I would also baste around the edges as I basted the top. It would be easier if you used water soluble thread to do it but can be done with regular thread, just be prepared to pick out the basting stitches as you progress. I would do a grid of approximately 2". Once all basted, I would unpin the bottom of the sandwich from the backing bar and repin it to the bar normally used for your top. This way you can easily roll the quilt back and forth and you backing bar acts a kind of tensioning bar for the whole sandwich. This step also keeps the excess batting out of the way. You can quilt it quite heavily and not get much, if any, shifting.
    Old 05-23-2016, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    The first thing I would before loading this is sew a stay stitch around the entire perimeter. You have a lot of bias edges on that quilt and this will help to keep them from stretching out of shape. It might not be a bad idea to starch it heavily as well. You can then baste it on the longarm. Given the size is so small I would float the top and baste it with the LA using the largest stitch length your regulator has. I would also baste around the edges as I basted the top. It would be easier if you used water soluble thread to do it but can be done with regular thread, just be prepared to pick out the basting stitches as you progress. I would do a grid of approximately 2". Once all basted, I would unpin the bottom of the sandwich from the backing bar and repin it to the bar normally used for your top. This way you can easily roll the quilt back and forth and you backing bar acts a kind of tensioning bar for the whole sandwich. This step also keeps the excess batting out of the way. You can quilt it quite heavily and not get much, if any, shifting.
    That seems a great way of doing it. I'll try it. Thanks a lot!