Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to move forward with this >
  • How to move forward with this

• How to move forward with this

Old 07-08-2022, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick
    I am no help, but I see the beginning of a beautiful low volume quilt! Some pale/soft pinks and some soft whites.
    I agree. I'm no help as to how to proceed though. I love low volume, but I'm not good at working with it.
    Old 07-09-2022, 03:13 AM

I like the pinwheel idea and the low volume idea too. My eye sees the soft pink and the green as accent colors. No need to change your HSTs, just rearrange the blocks and add alternating blocks of color or additional use of soft colors. There are so many patterns you can look at for ideas to expand your vision of your quilt.
    Old 07-09-2022, 04:04 AM

Think you need to incorporate the pink and green into the quilt as sashing.
    Old 07-09-2022, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

Linda, I love it as is. So soothing when I picture it all finished.
    Old 07-09-2022, 08:31 AM

It's up to you if you want to make a brighter, bolder, jazzier quilt or if you want to keep it on the quiet side. Either way is fine, just depends on the end result you are looking for. Personally, I like the soft colors you are using, they make for a very soothing quilt. If I were going to add anything I would add a very soft pink and green in small amounts so as not to overtake the patterned fabric itself. Reminds me of sitting in the shade of a cool Victorian rose garden on a warm summer day.
    Old 07-09-2022, 02:17 PM

I agree that some of the print colours need to be added in. Un-sewing is **unthinkable**, IMHO, so consider these options:

1. cut these rectangles somehow...corner to corner or across the midline...and sew to solids or hand-dyes in the colours in the print (soft rose, soft sage, buttercup). For extra interest you can add in darker shades of those colours. You can see if adding another colour pleases you via auditioning a bit of orange or purple-blue?

2. If you cut corner to corner you can probably do a spiderweb kind of block??

3. Sew them all together in any pattern that pleases you, then cut the assembled top....maybe in strips? Maybe in diamonds? And interleave with the hand-dyes or solids of colours above, or even something dramatic ie. a black and white.

4. Sew these into a border to use as either a border, in a strip design, or as sashing.

5. sew 4 together to make a block...sash with a coordinate. Note you can take that block and cut it as you would a disappearing 9 patch kind of design, and reassemble as you please.