Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much to buy? >
  • How much to buy?

• How much to buy?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNtheRain
    Thanks again for all the comments. I can see that I am gonna have to set up an allowance and stick to it and if that doesn't work I will bring hubby to the fabric shop to make sure I stay on track. LOL
    You DH must not be anything like mine. If I ask my DH if I should get fabric A, fabric B, or fabric C, he'll just say something like, "Just get them all, so we can go home!"
    Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 AM
    Reb

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    Good topic. I buy 2 - 3 yards.

Anyone know about a chart that shows how many yards for fabric you need for each size of a quilt top?

Also, if you see fabric that would make a great one block wonder (OBW) how may yards for a lap quilt?
    Missouri Quilt co. Website blog. They have several re: backing, binding, and precuts. Those are the ones I saw real quickly. The precuts was in a recent newsletter. I believe for OBW it depends on pattern repeat. Try Maxne Rosenthal's books on OBW. I'm sure she has guidance on that.
    Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    Good topic. I buy 2 - 3 yards.

Anyone know about a chart that shows how many yards for fabric you need for each size of a quilt top?

Also, if you see fabric that would make a great one block wonder (OBW) how may yards for a lap quilt?
    I took a class on the one block wonder and the teacher said that when you find good material to make one that is
    for a large lap size buy 5 yards.......I bought 5 yards for the one I made and it is a good size lap, hope that helps.
    Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 AM

I buy 4 yds of a fabric that I think I am going to uses as a border + blocks in quilt. Also I have learned from experience to by 1 yd of other fabric if I am getting fabric to match others but do not yet have pattern. . I have bought less and then found out that it was not enought to use on different patterns. If it is a blender then you canuse it later.
    Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNtheRain
    Thanks again for all the comments. I can see that I am gonna have to set up an allowance and stick to it and if that doesn't work I will bring hubby to the fabric shop to make sure I stay on track. LOL
    Yep. It is so easy to overspend. * I know that everyone has their own opinions...and none or right or wrong...just what works for them. For me...I know that in reality there are only so many hours in a day and so many projects I can do. I am going to try to be as frugal as I can with my money.