Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much can you NOT spend? >
  • How much can you NOT spend?

• How much can you NOT spend?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM

I can honestly say that the first 2 quilts that I ever made were just plain 6" squares made out of old jeans, batting was old electric blankets with cords pulled out & backings were used but good sheet blankets. Thread was given to me as well as a tennis ball size yarn. So other than my time, I had 2 'cost free' quilts for my 2 children to keep warm in the cold winters. Hubby had been laid off 13 times before he retired after 30 years in a factory.
    Now that hubby is retired...things still aren't much better. There aren't any neighbors around me that quilt, no friends (other than here) that quilt. I am self taught & basically do things my way. I quilt for my pleasure. I have sent a few people here fabric from what little stash I have & am very frugal.
    Yes, I have bought fabric from some here, beautiful fabric & yes, a few very kind & sharing quilters have sent me free fabric with nothing asked in return. I am so thankful for these quilters. They know who they are :)
    I live in a small town & no freecycle close to me, wish there was because I could make more here happy. With all the trials & tribulations I have been through; I wake each morning praising the Lord & pray every night for health & happiness of the people who are dear to me.
    I do the best I can with what I have & I am truly blessed.
    Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 PM
    dsj

recycle, free cycle, bartering works too, that is how my sister gets fabric, she is on a very tight budget and lots of people want to get rid of things, it never hurts to look around or ask questions. She has gotten lots of nice fabrics from free-cycle.
    Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
    Hubby cleaned his side of the closet. I recycled his cotton shirts, but haven't cut into them yet. I love hearing how everyone finds bargains or free fabric. It's like a treasure hunt. And it's fun to be able to sew even in belt-tightening times. I bet our ancestors did the same thing during the depression.

I love seeing everyone's "scrap" creations. What talent.
    Whenever I see machines and tools and fabrics that cost exorbitant amounts of money, I like to remember that folks have quilted for centuries with nothing but thread, scraps, needle, and scissors. Some of those virtually free quilts are the most beautiful and creative quilts I've ever seen. I don't feel deprived (or that I'm a cheapskate) with my old sewing machine and hand quilting! I appreciate all the knowledge shared from the quilters here, which makes me feel wealthy!
    Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 PM

Wow, this is a great thread and one I need to read again and again. This year I had resigned myself to using fabric from my stash and finishing UFO's.
    Well I've not done very well at all at not buying more fabric
    although I have used quite a bit of what I've bought this far.
    I also need to start looking more at our thrift stores and checking the free cycle in our area.
    I am going to a Quilt festival in Sept. and am signed up for 5 different classes (although I'm thinking about dropping 1 of them). I have been looking at the supplies list and have figured I will probably be able to make everyone of these projects from my STASH...
    I love this idea. I know I will still need to buy batting and backing to finish them but if I can use what I have to make the projects I am o.k. with this.
    Thanks for motivating me to relook at what I have and figure how to be more thrifty.
    Muriel
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:58 PM
    dsj

Quilt shows are wonderful but I get so overwhelmed immediately, I can't even make it down the first row no joking, I can hardly breath, my stomach gets upset, my head starts hurting, so I hightail it to the food area grab some water and maybe something with chocolate on it and collect myself. I have learned to buy a ticket for two days, just look around the first day and jot down the booths that I love and then shop and spend the next day. Now I don't get so overwhelmed with all the wonderful things. To all of you who love this art and this board, have fun creating wheter you buy, barter, recycle, freecycle and remember too that the old quilts that we might think are ugly are worth a whole lot of money these days. Quilts are treasures no matter what they look like.
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 PM

This festival is more workshops then a show although their will be a few vendors there. This is the 1st time I've ever done anything like this and I know what you mean about getting overwhelmed, I don't like crowds and I really do much better in small size classes where there is more one on one. But we so seldom have an opportunity here where we get several experienced National teachers that I didn't want to pass up the opportunity.
    Muriel
    Old 06-26-2010, 12:01 AM
    Google Goddess

we all have to watch our pennies these days, my hubby has been unemployed since July 2009 so $$$ is tight for us, I still have some John Deere fabric and making things with it along with some scrappy quilts - disappearing 9 patch and paper piecing, table runners
    Old 06-26-2010, 02:35 AM
    Gal

I am on a relatively tight budget, I cannot just go into my LQS and buy full price fabrics off the shelf. I do buy needles and thread and batting from them and always try to buy a small amount of sale fabric from one of the bargain bins for my scrappy quilts.
    I source my fabrics on line, in op shops and recycle clothing, I go to garage sales and car boot sales. I do not have a stash as such. I only make one quilt at a time and when that is finished I get on with the next one, I like to hand quilt so I am not very prolific.
    I get my patterns mostly from library books or mags or on line but also like to create my own designs from what fabric I have at the time. If I have an idea in my head, some times it is a while before I have sourced all the fabrics I need.
    It is quite a challenge but I feel an affinity with those wonderfully creative ladies of yesteryear and try to keep by those old fashioned principals. I do not work with any fancy tools or equipment, apart from a cutting board and soon a Hera Marker! I use an ordinary cheap quilting hoop.
    Just because I cannot afford to buy expensive fabrics and the like, does not stop me from enjoying making quilts. I am extremely happy in my little old quilting world, I keep my quilts for family members and friends since a lot of the fabrics are second hand or recycled.
    The largest quilt I have made to date is queen size and all up it cost $50.00 NZ, I think that is approx $25.00 US.

Gal
    Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
    "I know a lot of you find bargains in thrift stores, on clearance and use scraps from friends, so how thrifty can we be from start to finish? Just want to know if I'm still spending too much while the rest of you are making quilts for less!"

I am really trying to be more thrifty and use what I have for quilt tops but when it comes to backings I do have to buy. I have found that although I do like a lot of the planned patterns I really enjoy making scrap quilts. A close friend shared something once told to her by a famous quilter (can't remember which one right now) who said "When you make a quilt from a set number of fabrics that is planned out people see it and ooh and aah about the pattern, the fabric and the quilting and that's the end of the conversation. But when you make a scrap quilt that has unplanned fabrics and infinite number of scraps the conversation can go on an on because each time the quilt is looked at something else catches your eye that you didn't see before". So I've been trying to keep that thought and so far, I'm having fun with it.

I did pay to have this quilt machine quilted but didn't spend any money on the top, batting or backing. It's one of my favorites
    Joanie, I am in the process of making this quilt with my scraps too. Oh my, but there are lots of pieces but I think it will become one of my favorites too. Love scrap quilts. Post this on a separate thread so others can enjoy your Trail Mix.
    Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 AM

I'm saving my DH's old jeans for a surprise rag quilt for him. I think he'll love it. And I'm recycling!

Couldn't tell you the "cheapest" quilt that I've made, but it was probably around $30 or so.