Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much can you NOT spend? >
  • How much can you NOT spend?

• How much can you NOT spend?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Sometimes when hotels are updating their interiors, they sell of huge quantities of quilted bed-spreads impressively cheap. I worked at a resort several years ago and when they did their update, not only did I procure 5 King sized bedspreads, but a sofa-sleeper couch. I paid 20.00 for everything. They were all south-west design. My couch was in excellent condition, and the bed-spreads were nearly perfect. When I used one of the bedspreads in a quilt, I did not have to add additional batting. They were perfect for my climate.
    Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I don't know where everyone is finding the great clothing and sheets at thrift stores. I have Goodwill, Salvation Army and Savers thrift stores here and for the price they want for a men's good cotton shirt I can buy a yard of good fabric on sale. I'm very frugal with what I buy and I'm blessed that I don't have to be. Honestly I don't want over a $100 of my money to be tied up in any quilt I make. I have that and more in most all my quilts if I had bought the fabric and batting at regular prices. I would rather have that money in my pocket then on a bed somewhere. I make over 90% of my quilts from my stash including the batting. I have about as much batting as I do fabric. When I go to quilt shows I stock up on the pre cut wool and silk 18" batting squares, cheap! Don't pass up that vendor's big table of batting. I love the squares for QAYG quilts. I have a closet full of packages and bolts of batting all bought at clearance prices. I love to buy fabric so I replenish what I use whenever I find a great sale. I have enough fabric I can hold out for the rock bottom values. I prefer scrappy quilts so any fabric is the right fabric. I buy thread in sets when I find it at least 50% or more off. I usually buy any new quilting tool I think I want to try without waiting for a sale price.
    Most of the "thrift stores" where I live sell their items like they are valuable collectibles. Can't wait to get to Bend on Thursday and shop till I drop. :thumbup:
    Old 05-16-2011, 08:52 PM
    Power Poster

I spend more money on quilting notions, rulers, books, tools then fabric. Those are cheaper then fabric now. :lol:
    Old 08-07-2015, 09:35 PM

Using fat quarters for backing, what a great idea. Never thought of that.
    Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 PM

I find the fabric in reasonable locations it is the wadding/ batting which is the expensive part. It comes in at roughly £15 per metre, and 1 metre never does for a bed quilt. A single quilt cost me £20 for fabric including backing but wadding was £23 .
    any cheap ideas for wadding. I'm fussy as I don't like polyester wadding.
    Old 08-08-2015, 02:24 AM

Joanie2 I love your quilt!! In fact I think I printed off that pattern for my bucket list and you have inspired me to make it now!! Thanks for posting pic-it's beautiful! Since I retired I'm using just my stash too! Hard to adjust to not buying anything tho! Savers has gone up on their prices so much I don't buy much anymore. I find Goodwill is so much cheaper if you buy the color of the day 50% off! That's the way I go!
    Old 08-08-2015, 02:34 AM

I have a nice stash of my own and also a generous batch was given to me. I haven't even had to buy thread in a long time. My $$ goes toward batting or an occasional tool, or template or stencil. My last gift quilt was entirely leftovers from one I had made for a friend, with her buying the fabric! She didn't want the scraps. Yay me!:-) I'm keeping my spending low, too, like many others. I'm happy I love scrappies so much.
    Old 08-08-2015, 05:53 AM

*** $20. for a quilt is GREAT.
    *** You are officially in the THRIFTY Club.
    Old 08-08-2015, 06:36 AM
    Power Poster

For a while I was collecting cotton men's shirts from rummage sales... approx. $.50 each or stuff a bag for $1 or $2... Not much money in them. I've made three quilts from those shirts and barely made a dent in all that fabric. And, I find the shirt quilts are my favorites to keep and use because they are so cozy, scrappy and cheerful. There's a LOT of fabric in a men's XL shirt! And you can always piece big squares to make a back.
    Old 08-08-2015, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

I don't think so. You might have spent more if you had gone and bought a gift in a store.