Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much to charge??? >
  • How much to charge???

• How much to charge???

Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Thank you, everyone, for your quick replies. :-D
    Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Welcome from Michigan! Good luck and show us the finished projects!
    Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 AM

I was in a quilt shop the other day and they said a friend of their's charges 10 cents an inch for quilting. I would make sure I got the money back for the supplies and see where that comes to my $400 to $500 esimate. My quilt guild just spent $265 on fabric for a queen/king size quilt. not including battin, or thread or the piecework or quilting. Charging a friend is hard but time spent is another thing. Good luck.
    Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Keep material costs separate from labor.
    Let your friends buy the fabric, batting & thread.
    Charge for your time.
    Old 07-11-2011, 01:02 PM

I've heard of people who were making a quilt for a friend and got stiffed. People really don't understand what fabric costs these days. I'd have them go to the quilt store (and somewhere cheaper) to choose fabric. Have them pay you upfront for whatever they choose. Then charge minimum wage for your time (yes, your time is worth more than that, but it's at least a fair amount). You can see if they're really interested this way.
    My usual answer if someone wants me to make them something is that I'd be glad to show them how to make a quilt...
    Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Go with them to a quilt shop, let them choose and buy all needed supplies. Then two times that amount for the labor.
    Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mmcba0322
    I've been quilting for about 7 years and have made about 30 quilts. I would say I am an intermediate quilter. I have given away some quilts, donated some to charity and sold one (a lap quilt, for $100)

I have two friends who are wanting me to make them quilts for family members. One for a friends son (queen size), one for a friends niece (king size). They both want blue and maize (U of M colors).

My sister is a long arm quilter and for a brief period had her own business, so I know what she will charge to actually quilt the top. My question is, how much do I charge to put the top together? I've read some charge by the hour, some triple the cost of supplies. I'm using a large 16" block, fairly simple pattern. Plus, the batting and backing.

Both of these women are well aware quilts are not cheap to purchase, but they're asking for an estimated cost, which I don't really know. $400-$500???

Thanks for reading and for any feedback.
    I don't have the foggiest idea what to charge; I just wanted to say "Go Blue"!!!
    Old 07-12-2011, 04:05 AM

When I was in Lancaster, Pa. I went into a shop which was owned by an Amish family. There hundreds of handmade quilts- nothing was under $500.00, and most were way more.
    Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 AM

Morning, I have been quilting for about 10 years now and last year had 3 custom quilts. I do everything including the longarm work. My charges were: Twin $350.00, Full $550.00, Queen $850.00 and King $1200.00. Start to finish. I did a queen rush custom in 15 days and did not charge enough, by time I bought supplies (and customer even supplied shirts for top) I made less then $8.00 an hour. With fabric so expensive now my prices will be 450, 650, 950, and 1350. Now that being said. I would not charge a family member, except to maybe have them buy the fabric, and if I have farm something out like the longarm work. A good friend would be the same, unless I wanted to make it as a gift for them. Do not under charge, your time is worth it, and when we devalue our art, it hurts everyone. Hope this helps.
    Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 AM

I had an issue with a custom job because I underestimated the charges. Better to overestimate, and have a happy customer when the charges end up being less.