Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much for a Featherweight? >
  • How much for a Featherweight?

• How much for a Featherweight?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 AM

The FWs are adorable in the many colors, but I have a Singer 99----1955 ....my first machine when I married. Can't beat this baby for straight stitching, buttonholes (using the attachment) and the simplicity of operation. All metal, made in England, and a gem I will never give up! I love my Viking, but the little black Singer is special. I'm thinking of buying a short shank adapter with a snap on feature for a variety of feet to use on the 99....have any of you done this?
    Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 AM

I love my FW and I got it for FREE. Was telling a friend that I was looking for material to practice on before cutting my "good" stuff for quilts. She said she had an old sewing machine of her grandmother's that they were going to PITCH out and asked if I wanted it. She brought me the material and the FW. I was floored. I offered to pay her for it and she said NO. They would have just thrown it in the dumpster. I had it serviced and it works PERFECTLY. Some people throw away the best of things. Keep checking at garage sales and rummage sales.
    Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Wow, free? MAJOR SCORE for you!!
    Originally Posted by deeremom
    I love my FW and I got it for FREE. Was telling a friend that I was looking for material to practice on before cutting my "good" stuff for quilts. She said she had an old sewing machine of her grandmother's that they were going to PITCH out and asked if I wanted it. She brought me the material and the FW. I was floored. I offered to pay her for it and she said NO. They would have just thrown it in the dumpster. I had it serviced and it works PERFECTLY. Some people throw away the best of things. Keep checking at garage sales and rummage sales.