Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much space.... >
  • How much space....

• How much space....

Old 06-05-2010, 06:58 AM

do you need for a longarm? I have been offered one with a frame that is either 5 or 10 ft. My DH says I can have it if I find room for it....so, please help me as to the least area I might need. Thank you.
    Nancy
    Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

Well I have seen some people put them into a garage. I got rid of the twin beds out of a hardly used spare room for mine. I do have another spare so hubby didn't squalk to much about that.

If I were given a long arm, I would find a place for it, that is for sure!
    Old 06-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    Well I have seen some people put them into a garage. I got rid of the twin beds out of a hardly used spare room for mine. I do have another spare so hubby didn't squalk to much about that.

If I were given a long arm, I would find a place for it, that is for sure!
    I am buying but it is very reasonable. We don't have a garage, but actually have a huge house...it is just full of years of collected things. I have a room available I just need to know if it is big enough as it is small and right now has scrapbooking in it. :roll: (mine and a friends)...Thanks
    Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 AM

Ten ft. is a common length for the frame and one end can be put fairly close to a wall. You have to be able to walk around it, so obviously, you wouldn't want it in a ten ft. room. In terms of depth, the frame is maybe 2.5ft. in depth, and you need work room on both sides, I'd say at least another 3 ft. So, you're looking at a minimum footprint of maybe 13 x 9.

You are correct - they do take up a lot of room. The other thing you need a lot of, IMO, is light, so although a basement might seem to be the ideal place for one, consider how you are going to provide the light.
    Old 06-05-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dagny
    Ten ft. is a common length for the frame and one end can be put fairly close to a wall. You have to be able to walk around it, so obviously, you wouldn't want it in a ten ft. room. In terms of depth, the frame is maybe 2.5ft. in depth, and you need work room on both sides, I'd say at least another 3 ft. So, you're looking at a minimum footprint of maybe 13 x 9.

You are correct - they do take up a lot of room. The other thing you need a lot of, IMO, is light, so although a basement might seem to be the ideal place for one, consider how you are going to provide the light.
    Thank you, that is very good information.
    Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 AM

I've always wondered how it would to sleep under a long arm machine -- that might be the only way I'll ever have one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I've always wondered how it would to sleep under a long arm machine -- that might be the only way I'll ever have one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I did ask about putting in our bedroom which is quite large... :mrgreen:
    Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 AM
    Power Poster

I laughed at your post but in my case it's almost true. I have a mid arm and wanted a frame. I bought a Grace frame knowing the only place I could put it was my bedroom. My room is 10 x 11 with a chunk taken out for the closet. I set up my frame and have enough room for my twin bed. Some people didn't understand why I would sacrifice my bedroom for a frame but they don't quilt so I didn't expect them to understand. I love it and it works great for me.
    Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    I laughed at your post but in my case it's almost true. I have a mid arm and wanted a frame. I bought a Grace frame knowing the only place I could put it was my bedroom. My room is 10 x 11 with a chunk taken out for the closet. I set up my frame and have enough room for my twin bed. Some people didn't understand why I would sacrifice my bedroom for a frame but they don't quilt so I didn't expect them to understand. I love it and it works great for me.
    I like it...wake up at night, do a little quilting.
    Old 06-05-2010, 09:53 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dagny

It might fit in a smaller space if it is placed corner-to-corner in the room. I would *definitely* find the space for this!!!