Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts? >
  • How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

• How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

Old 08-15-2016, 06:24 AM

My sister says I am obsessed, but she has no hobbies or creative outlets! My husband says as long as there is electricity I will sew. I work full-time and have a fairly active social life and the rest of the time I am likely sewing. I try to balance things by when it is time to change the bobbin - I go and do some chores. Sewing is my therapy
    Old 08-15-2016, 06:37 AM

Some days I sew for several hours and some days none at all. On the days that I don't sew, I search for patterns, organize things, or just read the Board. Every day is spent doing something related to quilting.
    Sue
    Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 AM

I spend a fair amount of time learning. I want to develop the "quilter eye" so that I don't buy fabrics that won't work and end up adding them to my stash. I've learned already that I'll quilt more if I keep everything picked up and put away. So I'm trying to make that a habit, put away as I go.

As far as cleaning that isn't my strong point. The iron needs cleaning again and the rug needs vacuuming. I guess maybe I should go do that...
    Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 AM

I agree with sewbizgirl and roguequilter. Just as there are people with different skill levels on this board, there are also different involvement levels, and some people aren't constantly quilting. But I sure do enjoy spending time on this quilting board and seeing everyone's masterpieces. Speaking as a person with many other hobbies, the preparation and planning and gathering of supplies is all part of the process. I am a beginner quilter who also has other obligations. For example, gardening is something that I am involved with this time of year and it is time to start canning. Although I have 3 quilting projects planned for when cooler weather is here, the actual business of making things is not something I usually assign much time to in the summer months. I am more likely to be planning and preparing for projects this time of year, gathering supplies, and just generally doing other unrelated things.
    Old 08-15-2016, 07:16 AM

I haven't been sewing with my machine for some time and I'm finding that frustrating. I have been knitting. I left my hexie project behind accidentally when we moved back to Maine for the summer and finally reordered supplies so I can start doing that again. I am really, really looking forward to my upcoming time in Florida where I have more of a dedicated space to sew and more friends to sew with.
    The other obstacle I have to overcome is when I sew in my sewing space. I used to sew when hubby went fishing, went to the movies with friends etc. Now, we are retired together and I find it harder to go sew by myself. I do knitting and hand work in the evenings. (He also isn't fishing as much since his best fishing pal broke his knee at the beginning of the summer - so less alone time). So (sew?) I just need to start allowing myself to sew when I need/want to. He would be fine with that, I know.
    Old 08-15-2016, 07:18 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    You sound like me. But I really enjoy the dreaming, planning, sharing, shopping, getting educated, and I count this as part of my time on my "hobby". Actual sewing time is 2hrs on a good day. and many days no sewing because I do have a life, with people and demands in it that are more than a hobby.
    I am like this most of the time unless I have a marathon weekend and I am working on NICU donation quilts or other projects like it. I really enjoy design and planning, so yes I guess I can spend a lot of time on that but I figure it is better then watching tv or paying for therapy sessions. I also have a large and busy family so I need to be sure their needs are met first. Over the next year I also want to work in a more regular exercise schedule. It is easy for me to fill my time with quilting but that doesn't give me enough physical exercise.
    Old 08-15-2016, 07:19 AM
    Power Poster

i try and sew a little each day if not sewing i am crheting especiall when i take my grandson to soccer practice. very early mornings are my best time for sewing!!
    Old 08-15-2016, 07:28 AM
    Power Poster

DH had an employee leave after 4-5 years, one of his best. So he helps with that til they hire someone else and that knocked out the surprise vacation I happened to find out by accident. So that put another hold on the painting of the sewing room. I'm just trying to organize a few things and have renewed my interest in hand embroidery. I did work on a couple blocks. that's as close to sewing as I've gotten. No actual quilt making. I did clean my machines this weekend although I had them put away. Since we've had a slight situation with a couple furry pests, I wanted to make sure none were trying to build a nest in my 401 which would be easy to do where the gears on top are located. Thank goodness no trace and they are shining. Put it back for later. Hopefully, not too much later.
    Old 08-15-2016, 07:50 AM

I like to sew for 1 1/2 hrs. daily. It's amazing what you can get done in that small amount of time.
    Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 AM

I'm only on my first quilt, but out of curiosity I decided to track my hours (actually spent on the quilt, so cutting, hand piecing, hand quilting). I'm ready to put on the binding, and already have just shy of 100 hours.

I hope to set up a sewing room soon. Right now I just have a bag with my stuff inside so that it is fully portable. I can pick it up and take it with me, so it's easy to work on during any down-time.