Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size? >
  • How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

• How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Beautiful! I can't quite tell from the picture. Is the big center pieced or is it just one great big square? Just wondering if there is a bunch of piecing and applique or just applique? How long does it take to applique one leaf down? Are you hand cutting all of the leaves or are you using some sort of die cut?
    Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Beautiful! I can't quite tell from the picture. Is the big center pieced or is it just one great big square? Just wondering if there is a bunch of piecing and applique or just applique? How long does it take to applique one leaf down? Are you hand cutting all of the leaves or are you using some sort of die cut?
    The center area with the very light colored batiks is actually pieced as well with 8" blocks. Each of those blocks contains 4 pieces, so there are several different background batiks in the top. So the quilt is actually both appliqued and pieced, although the piecing is very simply done. When I was working on this, I would usually do 3 - 4 leaves a night, so maybe 30-45 minutes per leaf (for the larger ones)? I'm pretty obsessive about how I do things so am probably slower than most others. These are all hand cut as well with scissors.
    Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM

3 to 4 hundred...Its really nice...love it but with so many worried about their jobs. Many are cutting way...back. If you charge more you may get it but may take a while or...you may have to find clients that are in the highend areas. What do you think she can afford??
    Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM

I charged $1400. Plus cost of fabric for a king
    Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
    Power Poster

Eddie, I agree with 1200.00- all that applique!
    I remember this quilt.
    Heck, I remember all your quilts! They are THAT gorgeous :D
    Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
    Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    The center area with the very light colored batiks is actually pieced as well with 8" blocks. Each of those blocks contains 4 pieces, so there are several different background batiks in the top. So the quilt is actually both appliqued and pieced, although the piecing is very simply done. When I was working on this, I would usually do 3 - 4 leaves a night, so maybe 30-45 minutes per leaf (for the larger ones)? I'm pretty obsessive about how I do things so am probably slower than most others. These are all hand cut as well with scissors.

I counted roughly 32 big leaves and at a half hour each that is 16 hours. Plus about 8 little leaves. Say it takes 15 min on those that's another 2 hours. So 18 hours alone on applique. And this is just for a lap sized. Would a queen have double the applique? 36 hours? And then you have all of the cutting. Say 70 leaves at least a couple hours of cutting. Then the price of batiks, batting, thread, fusible (more time I didn't add in), as well as piecing as well as whatever you normally charge to LA. You are at 40 hours plus for this quilt. That is a lot of time that would invested in this!
    Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Uhm.... <cough> I would charge five bucks and send it to me. hehehe Just kidding that is a beautiful quilt, I don't blame her for wanting another one :)
    Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM

I would say 3 times the cost of materials and if you really don't want the job 4 or 5 times the cost of materials;>
    Old 03-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
    I charged $1400. Plus cost of fabric for a king
    This is what I was thinking. The last I heard labor should be charged as $12 per hour. Figure out the labor and then add in the material.
    Old 03-07-2011, 03:14 PM

For those who are saying 1,400..would you pay that price? Yes its worth alot....but will you really pay that much? Even with two good incomes I am very careful with how much I spend.