Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much would you pay >
  • How much would you pay

• How much would you pay

Old 11-01-2017, 04:04 AM
    Power Poster

For that money I would get a used Juki. I own the Janome 6500 and also am familiar with 1600P. I think $600 is a bit high especially if it is not in pristine condition.
    Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 AM

I don't know what a fair price would be. I recently removed my Pfaff Grandquilter from it's frame and decided to use it as a workhorse for quilting with a walking foot and for FMQ. It is also great for straight stitching. It has a larger throat space than my Bernina, but I has only about 4-5 inches of room for quilting. I was completely fed up with its lack of throat space. If you want to put another machine on your frame, I would save up and get one with a larger throat space. By the way, I purchased my Pfaff and its frame for $1,000 about 7 years ago used. I would search out used machines. If you have a local quilt guild, someone might have one gathering dust.
    Old 11-01-2017, 05:03 AM
    Power Poster

I don't know anything about Janome but I bought a Juki TL2010Q straight stitch only for a little over 800.00 new and it's a wonderful machine. Just a thought.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 11-01-2017 at 05:07 AM.
    Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    I agree with QuiltE. Another thing you might want to check is if he's going to warranty if for you. I'd also go with your gut feeling. If the machine looks rough, it's probably been treated badly even if not sewn on that much. That would be a no-go for me.
    Totally agree back on both counts!
    Gut feelings usually tell us what we need to know, but too often don't want to know!
    Definitely go for a warranty.
    If your serviceman thinks so highly of the machine, he should have no problems with giving you that.

Then make sure that you use it a lot, during that period, to give it a good workout,
    so you can feel confident it was a good buy for you.
    Old 11-01-2017, 05:15 AM

As I recall, the Janome 1600P needs to have a cover for the feed dogs when FMQ since they don’t lower on that machine. You can get A new Brother PQ1500s (basically the same machine) for about that price and it has the ability to lower the feed dogs. For just a little more, you can get a new Juki 2000qi or a New Juki2010q. Both are also pretty much the same as the Janome but they can also Lowe the feed dogs.

the going rate for a used PQ1500s is about $350. If the Janome 1600p looks a little rough I would not pay anywhere near$600 for it. If you do decide to go for it make sure it includes the cover for the feed dogs— you will need that for frame quilting.

Rob