Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much yardage to build the perfect stash? >
  • How much yardage to build the perfect stash?

• How much yardage to build the perfect stash?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:13 AM

So much depends on the price. I make mostly charity quilts----Quilts of Valor and childrens.

When I find a great sale like fabric.com yesterday...I bought a yard of any that would be good for military quilts. I use only quilt shop quality for those but get the fabric when it is way marked down.

I also like to stock up on cream or white for so many things.

I decided to set a monthly budget---$30 a month for fabric. It was getting out of hand and this has worked quite well. Some months I spend none and others more. I use the envelope system.

I have found wonderful bargains at Joannes of Robert Kaufman fabric which is usually with the novelties. This is for children's quilts.
    I also use Debbie Mumm for them.
    Old 10-20-2010, 06:30 AM

when I first started building my stash if I liked it I got 3 yards, if I loved it 5 yards, I tend to get a focus fabric and then blenders and solids to go with it, So the focus fabric stands out and the blenders are the background. When I made quilts for my south west bedroom, I had 5 yards of my focus fabric, it went into 2 log cabin qults a wall quilt and one pillow, pillow cases, so every thing goes togeather. and I still have some of it, if I want to add more to the room.
    I buy black, wow, muslin, and PFD fabric by the bolt.
    Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 AM

Thanks ladies =) I have very few peices of fabric that measure more than 2 yards...but that could be because I'm cheap..lol..

I have only done scrappy type quilts and used what colors I had that I liked together. The first was a Jacob's ladder, and the second is a 9 peice block on the front and back of the quilt(I'm still working on this one)..

I just love the uniform look of the fabric stash in the quilting rooms that are posted on this site. I'm thinking that maybe I need to by larger cuts...the idea of having some leftover for another project is always a wonderful thing.

Thanks again
    Laura
    Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 AM

I think it depends on what kind of quilter you are. If you are some one that uses patterns exclusively, then usually buying what the pattern calls for is more than enough. I have found that most patterns give yardage estimates on the "extra" side, so adding even more, would give more leftover fabric.

If you are someone that designs your own quilts, and want to be able to get up in the middle of the night when inspiration strikes and pull out fabric from your stash to start working, then I would definately buy fabrics in 1/2 yard plus range, depending on if it was a blender, or a focus type fabric. If you like kaleidoscope type quilts, where you need a certain amount of repeats, then you need to buy enough to give you the number of repeats you will need.

When I first started to quilt, and had a pattern that I was using, I would buy what was needed for the pattern plus at least 1/4 to 1/2 yd more. That way if I messed up cutting it, or had to unsew too often and ripped the fabric, I could just cut another piece with out having to go searching for more. And I always told myself, that any leftovers would help build my stash when I was first starting out. If I really liked a fabric for one of those quilts, I would buy more.

After I had been quilting awhile, I only bought extra fabric when I really liked it, or thought I would be able to use it in something else. I never cared for scrappy type quilts, so I wanted enough yardage to use in another quilt no matter what pattern I selected. But now I have so much fabric that isn't enough for yardage that I'm going to be making some scrappy type quilts.

Now, I try to not buy fabric unless I know exactly what I'm going to do with it. But if I find something on sale, and I think it will make a good backing, I will buy 5 or 6 yards, or what is left on the bolt. If I like it for doing a One Block Wonder, or Stack n Whack, I will buy enough repeats to make at least a lap size quilt. And if I decide to use it as a focus fabric for something else, then I will have plenty of fabric and would just need some blenders to go with it.
    Old 10-20-2010, 05:02 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honey
    If it is a fabric that I like, I usually buy 2 yards. If it is something that I love, I buy 3 or more so that I am not searching for more later.
    This is how I buy it too :D:D:D
    Old 10-20-2010, 07:48 PM

I usually buy 2 yards but I am trying to cut back for a while because I am 64 and need to sew from my stash only.
    Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM

These are great suggestions for new quilters who don't have years of sewing projects under their belt so their left over stash is nil. I have to watch it if I really love a fabric not to cover my world with it. Those comfy soothing colors that make you want to curl up with a cup of coffee and a good book on a rainy day.

Happy stash building everyone!!!
    Andie