Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How my DH got me to stop buying fabric...without even trying >
  • How my DH got me to stop buying fabric...without even trying

• How my DH got me to stop buying fabric...without even trying

Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 AM

LOL
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 AM

Because now it is really YOUR money you are spending,not "our" money! Don"t klnow if this is your reason, but IO do know it applies to me. I was the older, stay at home, wife and mother generation, never had a job, therefore, never had what was considered my own money. Could always buy what I wanted, so that was never a issue , but it did curb spending somewhat. When I became old enough to get SS, I thought, OH Boy!! now I can spend whatever, whenever, and didnT have to think about the check book balance, or discuss it with hubby. I've found that I am pretty generous about gifts for him, or for the children, and I did buy myself a new computer and sewing machine, but the rest of the money goes into a savings account, for what I don"T know! Still enjoy spending "our money". LOL! I think I just like the idea that it is there if I want to be able to do something really special for the kids, or him, as a surprise . I feel that is more important to me, it is from "me". And then I go spend our money without any qualms at all. Hubs says I am planning to be the one who actually takes it with me.LOL
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
    Because now it is really YOUR money you are spending,not "our" money! Don"t klnow if this is your reason, but IO do know it applies to me. I was the older, stay at home, wife and mother generation, never had a job, therefore, never had what was considered my own money. Could always buy what I wanted, so that was never a issue , but it did curb spending somewhat. When I became old enough to get SS, I thought, OH Boy!! now I can spend whatever, whenever, and didnT have to think about the check book balance, or discuss it with hubby. I've found that I am pretty generous about gifts for him, or for the children, and I did buy myself a new computer and sewing machine, but the rest of the money goes into a savings account, for what I don"T know! Still enjoy spending "our money". LOL! I think I just like the idea that it is there if I want to be able to do something really special for the kids, or him, as a surprise . I feel that is more important to me, it is from "me". And then I go spend our money without any qualms at all. Hubs says I am planning to be the one who actually takes it with me.LOL
    Wow, that makes a lot of sense! You could be right!
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM

I do the same thing. I think it's because it's a gift I want to make it be for something really special. I agonized over this years, $200 at Threads of Time. Should I buy tools and have them for years to come? Fabric for quilts that will last for years? I drove myself crazy for an entire week then spent all of it and $150 more in one fell swoop by purchasing a "Time of Your Life" pass for free retreats all 2011. Hopefully he'll get me the same thing next year and they'll offer it again.
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM

LOL!
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM

I think you should buy the clearance fabric with household money and save the GC for something just for you or for something lasting you'd not normally buy. When I have a gift card, I try to use for something I can pinpoint and thank the gifter for, not just 'normal' stuff. It was given to you, not the house.

If a batik quilt is what you want for yourself, then wait for the batiks or splurge and buy them full price. At Connecting Threads, they aren't expensive.
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM

That' so funny. My DH said I can spend $50 at Connecting Threads, too, because he got some extra money the other day. Now, if I could only make up my mind what I want!! (LOL)
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM

I'm trying to be good, honest I am. My wonderful husband, who is so understanding about most of what I do, does not understand my addiction to fabric. I have told him that I have built my stash, primarily on the year end sales and some out of sight deals on Ebay, and will now stop. Then someone told me about fabric4less.com. You have to buy a full bolt, but at $2.75 a yard! It is our money I'm spending, we've never split funds since the day we got married. I really must stop. Is there therapy for fabric addiction? Maybe I should take up drinking. Nah I don't like it that much. Maybe gambling? No, I don't like to spend money when I don't get anything in return. Guess it just comes down to will power.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 PM

LOL Cute DH.

I'm the same way with gift certs. I want the purchase to match the significance of the giver. Can't be done but I do try.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

I had the same thing happen when I received money for my B-day,Hubby took me to a QS that gives you half of you age off,I was having such a hard time making any decision but I knew that was my only day to buy so I finally started picking things out and came home with some great purchases. :thumbup: :D :D :thumbup:
    It ended up being a very fun day!!!! :D :D