Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How noisy are longarms? >
  • How noisy are longarms?

• How noisy are longarms?

Old 08-07-2018, 01:26 AM

I have an Innova, which was quieter than most others I tried out. I always have the TV on (it’s across the room) for background noise. You can’t watch it while LA quilting anyway, so I like listening to the director’s commentary on DVD movies.
    Old 08-07-2018, 04:21 AM

I think mine is a little bit noisy but husband just turns volume on his tv doesnt bother him.
    Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz
    I had to buy wireless headphones in order to hear my TV while running the longarm. Unless I want the volume so loud it's painful when the machine stops, that was the only option for me.

Reasons not to buy one (I have two longarms, so just playing devil's advocate here to help you out )
    1. loud
    2. space
    3. cost (think of all the fabric you could buy)
    4. uses electricity (more cost)
    5. the lint (omg the lint! Somehow it seems worse than my regular machine)
    I didn't even know about the lint! Now I REALLY don't want one.

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

I have this idea that if I ever practice FMQ on my machine enough that I'm not terrible at it, then I can think about getting one, and so I've been wondering if it would even be possible (or maybe the word I want here is practical). Let's see, we could put the longarm in the master bedroom and then sleep in the hallway ...
    Old 08-07-2018, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by cindi
    I have an Innova, which was quieter than most others I tried out. I always have the TV on (it’s across the room) for background noise. You can’t watch it while LA quilting anyway, so I like listening to the director’s commentary on DVD movies.
    DVD commentaries are a good idea. I listen to podcasts while I sew, but when I spend a lot of time sewing I run out. I can't hear them well when I'm sewing on my regular machine, so it has to be something I enjoy listening to that I don't mind missing parts of.
    Old 08-07-2018, 06:37 AM

I listen to music while I am on my longarm without having to blast it, the volume is unchanged from any other time. As for the lint issue that is because of the thread your using not the machine.
    Old 08-08-2018, 03:59 AM

My longarm is the focal point of my living room, and a loveseat that the dog occupies to keep me company. My TV is in the bedroom. When I am using the longarm I want no other distractions around me, no TV, no music. I love the rhythmic sounds of the machine whirring away. Mine is computerized, so I can busy myself in the nearby kitchen while still listening for any issues that may come up. As far as lint, I wouldn't consider it any more of a problem than the dust in the house. I live alone so am not concerned about it annoying anyone else in the house. I think the biggest issue is the space it takes up, but if you want to quilt bad enough you make space.
    Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 AM

I'm new to LA quilting, but I absolutely cannot let my attention stray for even a second. In my sewing studio, I always have the TV running, but I will never put a TV in my quilting studio because I realize that I cannot split my attention for even a second. I actually enjoy the soothing sound of my quilter and find it relaxing.
    Old 08-08-2018, 11:59 AM

If the concern is for someone else in the room you could get those tv headphones for the other party. If for you, yes they are louder and your head is right by the motor area if doing a pantogram. If from the front side and doing your "own thing", then you are on the opposite side of the motor and it's not 'quite' as bad, but noisey none the less. At least on my Gammil it is.
    Old 08-08-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by sewnclog
    If the concern is for someone else in the room you could get those tv headphones for the other party. If for you, yes they are louder and your head is right by the motor area if doing a pantogram. If from the front side and doing your "own thing", then you are on the opposite side of the motor and it's not 'quite' as bad, but noisey none the less. At least on my Gammil it is.
    I was thinking if someone else were in the room watching TV, but it also serves as a gauge in trying to describe how loud something is (probably better than "louder than crickets but softer than a jackhammer").
    Old 08-08-2018, 05:06 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by Mitty
    I was thinking if someone else were in the room watching TV, but it also serves as a gauge in trying to describe how loud something is
    As a comparison, when I rented time on a longarm, there was a second one in the (relatively large) space that was in use during one of my sessions. The noise from the other longarm was extremely distracting to me. I don't see how someone could watch TV while a LA was in use in the same room. Now, this was not a computer-guided machine so the sounds varied during the stitching, and in particular the irregular noise really started to get on my nerves.

The rentals were APQS Millie and Lenny.