Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's >
  • How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

• How to organize sewing space - out of control fabric, UFO's

Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 PM

I'm not super organized but do try to keep like things together. I put WIP's or fabrics for planned items together in ziplock bags; from small to the big xxlarge depending on the size these are then put in plastic tubs. I usually have a small bag with fabric clippings in my purse so I can look for fabric to finish projects. I also try to keep everything confined to the sewing room unless it is hand work then it is by my chair and I work on them while watching TV or visiting with friends. Since I share my sewing room with DH (he has three feet of a 12 foot table for his computer and photo stuff) I try to keep things kind of neat.
    When I reorganize I start in one part of the room and work my way around the room. I put things away after every "create mode" and do a major straightening every 3 months otherwise it gets out of control.
    I have fg's on their sides in plastic drawers so I don't have to take them out to see what is there unless the color is right for the project. Larger pieces are sorted by color on shelves that are covered with a curtain to protect from dust and sun damage. Scraps are sorted by color and in the larger popcorn tins stacked in one section of the room. (They seem to multiply like rabbits no matter how many of them I use.) They looks nice and are confined to one area.
    Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 AM

When my sewing room got totally out of control I called in the troops. Three of my closest quilty friends came over and spent the day sorting, folding and tossing stuff. The time just flew by and we laughed so much - but when they left it was a totally different space. I was really lucky to have such great friends. A few months later I had a water leak and had to remove everything from my basement sewing room. I only lost 2 pincushions! If it hadn't been for those 3 quilty buddies helping me get a little more organized I would have lost so much more.