Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How a Quilt Might be Used >
  • How a Quilt Might be Used

• How a Quilt Might be Used

Old 09-30-2017, 02:58 PM

I've seen my quilts spread out on the sand at the beach and thrown on a bed. The only time I cringed was when I heard about a quilt that my co-worker and I teamed up on for a graduating student that we'd both worked closely with. We both worked hard on that quilt and he came into school after we had gifted it and told us how great it looks on his wall. He nailed it up. I hope it's still there.
    Old 10-01-2017, 06:08 AM

My 2 DWR quilts handed down from my mom, made(hand quilted in the 1930's) by her mom, they scream to be used. Alas, I just look and savor them as I am just a steward for the next hand off.
    Old 10-05-2017, 05:39 AM

When I was a kid, we spent the summers at my Grandma's house in Alabama. She was a prolific quilter, and we kids would fight over who got to use the quilts to make a "pallet" to sleep on the floor with her quilts. When she passed, she has quilts for all of her grandchildren. I wasn't "into" quilts then, like I am now, and it breaks my heart that I did not keep the one she made for me. I made quilts for each of my kids, and have now started making quilts for each of my own grandkids. Although it is my hope that they will use and enjoy them until the quilts are threadbare, once I give the quilt away, it is theirs to do with what they choose
    Old 10-05-2017, 07:55 AM

My grandmother had a small house and a passel of grandchildren. She also had a wardrobe that was filled to the brim with quilts. They made pallets for us kids with those quilts. Actually, I don't ever remember sleeping in a bed at that grandmother's house. Of course, with a floor full of cousins, who cared?

The week after she died, someone took all of her quilts and pictures. That was the 1971 and no one has ever "fessed up".

bkay
    Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 AM
    Power Poster

The first quilt I made for myself is about 25 years old and well-loved. After all the washes it is now silky soft and pliable. I call it my rectangular hug.