Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How quilts were used in the Underground Railroad >
  • How quilts were used in the Underground Railroad

• How quilts were used in the Underground Railroad

Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM

Myth or fact who knows for sure. I think the value of these stories is that it makes one stop and think for a moment about how Godforsaken and frightening it must have felt to be running for your life (and freedom, whatever that meant) through the darkness headed North to whatever. Running stumbling in forests, fields, villages, homesteads in the cold darkness seeking refuge. Maybe the quilts weren't maps but perhaps they provided warmth and security along the way.
    Old 04-25-2013, 02:35 PM

The 'quilt blocks as signals or signs on the Underground Railway' story is a nice one, but it is fiction and needs to be recognized as such. I have nothing against a good story, but do become concerned when the story purports to be historical fact but isn't.

Here are just a couple of interesting references: http://historiccamdencounty.com/ccnews11_doc_01a.shtml
    and http://www.lacwrt.org/quiltcode.html and, of course, Barbara Brackman's book, "Facts and Fabrications; Unraveling the History of Quilts and Slavery" (C&T Publishing)
    Old 04-25-2013, 04:45 PM

I, too recommend Eleanor Burns' book. You may even be able to borrow it from your local library. I live in a part of Virginia that was occupied by large numbers of Quakers. Quakers were very, very supportive of slaves who were running away and heading north and they often put themselves and their families in danger by hiding runaway slaves and/or hanging quilts out their windows or over their fences to help point slaves toward the next portion of their journey. It's a wonderful story and it's amazing to live in an area where so much of it took place.
    Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
    We live along the Juniata River and were supposed part of the trail North. My BIL was telling how a fellow teacher had purchased a farm and was in the process of making repairs when he discovered a false ceiling in the barn. It was a hiding place. When it was disassembled, he found a journal and a sizeable piece of one of the quilts. Left behind on purpose or just forgotten? These items were given to the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. Perfectly believable to me.
    I do believe there is truth in this story. Just imagine hanging laundry/quilt on clothes line to air. It's believeable.
    Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 PM

There is a new very good book (historical fiction)The Secrets of Mary Bowser,by Mary Bowser, a novel based on the true story of Mary Bowser, a former slave who became a Union spy during the Civil War. It is fiction but based on extensive research. It's a great story about this period of time and the reality of slave life.
    Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM

I was SO disappointed to learn this was a myth. I taught 5th grade for 28 years, and we always included this in our Civil War studies. The students were fascinated. When I retired and learned to quilt, I created a powerpoint about the History of Quilting that I present sometimes to groups. All the research I've done tells us this is not a true story. Very disappointing isn't it? Sure was a good story!!! Very romantic!
    Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 PM

I have only read the book, which I must say fascinated me. What a privilege and opportunity to go to something like that!!! Lucky you, girl. Couldn't happen to a nicer person. I also read Hobo Quilts by Debra G. Henninger, which was equally fascinating. Ellie
    Old 04-26-2013, 03:20 AM

You all can say what you want. I believe there was an UGRR and I believe in the quilts as being markers. No one is going to change my mind. Just because it cannot be totally 100% proven does not mean that it didn't happen or the UGRR wasn't there! Oh, ye of little faith. Do not take away the courage and tenacity of the black people who endured proven mistreatment and suffering. or the love and compassion of the white people who helped them get to a free part of the United States. We've never seen God have we? But we know He is there! Who can prove that it is a myth anymore than people can prove that it is true. It is up to the individual to believe what he/she wants to. For the teacher who taught about the UGRR, good! I learned about it too. I am planning on making an UGRR quilt, because I believe in it and I believe it is part of our American History too. Back in the 1860's they didn't have Smart Phones or Ipads or Ipods or Cell Phones, they had word of mouth and from that comes our history! Like Paul Revere, Nathan Hale, Johnny Appleseed (who can believe some guy walking all over the United States spreading appleseeds and that is how we got all our apples.) So, I believe in the "One if by land and two if by sea", and I believe in "I regret I have only one life to give for my country" and I believe in Johnny Appleseed. Why would I not believe in the UGRR and the quilts? Please, myth or not, don't spoil our love of stories of our country. I don't care if you think it's a myth or not. I care about that little boy who received an UGRR quilt and knows the history of it, or the teacher who taught about the UGRR for 28 years. Edie
    Old 04-26-2013, 03:44 AM

[
    I agree with you on this.. It was so dangerous for the slaves to be running away and people taking them to safe houses. I think there must of been some word of mouth and way to know where to go.QUOTE=jeanharville;6025517]I attended the same program #1Piecemaker did in Ashdown. I had already heard that the story was fiction, so I listened carefully to how they presented their information. When they introduced their program and before presenting each block they reiterated that this was oral history taken from "Hidden in Plain Sight". So they did not present this as the gospel. There have been many things thought to be myth then later found to be fact. One was that of Jefferson having black children. Only recently with DNA testing it has been proven to be fact. I don't know if the UGRR quilt story is fact or not, but I do believe it could have some truth to it. It's true that most of the slaves travelled at night. But when it was white ministers or other white sympathizers conducting in the daytime the quilts could have been markers. Who writes history? usually white men. This story is black oral history and is basically a woman's contribution story. I think it could have happened. In the history of WWI and WWII codes and marking were used to signal safe houses. Why would the UGRR be any different?[/QUOTE]
    Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 AM

The people who go around giving this presentation on the UGRR quilts - are they getting paid for it? Just curious.