Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How should I cut up my fabric for storage/later use? >
  • How should I cut up my fabric for storage/later use?

• How should I cut up my fabric for storage/later use?

Old 04-02-2017, 08:27 PM

I never cut up fabric until I'm prepping to use it. I do separate fabric by size--larger pieces I fold and store, FQ size I put into storage chest and any "strings" I stuff into tote bags which sometime I'll use! I do keep all fabrics that I buy for specific patterns with the pattern as in the past I've forgotten what the heck I bought it for!
    Old 04-02-2017, 09:58 PM
    Power Poster

I only cut up Scraps. Pieces that are odd ball shaped smaller than fat quarters or strips narrower than 6" . I cut pieces into the largest size possible, then work my way down. Such as, a strip I might cut 2 (2 1/2") strips or one 2 1/2" and a 1 1/2" what ever I can get. Then I might have a chunk I can get a 10" or 9" square out of. Then maybe a couple 3" squares etc. what ever I can get. I never cut up yardage, half yards or fat quarters until I'm using them, only scraps to tame the mess. And, it does depend on what kind of quilts you make. If you always make log cabin or split rail quilts it might work for you to cut everything into strips. If you always make Patchwork quilts with 6" squares, cut 6" squares. Don't cut up a bunch of usable as is fabric into sizes you will never use.
    Old 04-03-2017, 01:32 AM

Why in the world would you want to cut fabric, no matter what size it is, before you have a use for it?
    Old 04-03-2017, 02:00 AM

Another no cutter here. Like others, just store as purchased until I have a need/use for it. As for scraps, I used to just save them as is until needed. Separated by color but they grew out of control, saw a demo at a guild meeting on making string blocks, so I cut almost all my scraps into "strings" for string piecing. Still have some scraps as is and now I have a boatload of strings that are waiting to be sewn into blocks. Sigh....so many quilts, so little time!
    Old 04-03-2017, 02:01 AM

I prewash batiks but usually don't cut fabric up before using it. If it's several yards' worth, I hang on hangers in a closet. But I don't usually buy more than 2-3 yards at a time. That's enough for a border.
    Old 04-03-2017, 03:03 AM

I never cut a FQ or anything larger. I only cut up scraps and odd sized pieces - which I cut into 5" and or 2.5" pieces.
    Old 04-03-2017, 03:15 AM

I don't cut fabric up until I want to use it. It keeps things more flexible. I always seem to need something 'odd sized'. I just made a table runner that had a bit of a bargello look; however, every strip was a different size to get the effect of the pattern. Glad I hadn't cut fat quarters into 2.5 inch strips.
    Old 04-03-2017, 03:59 AM
    Power Poster

I don't cut anything until I'm ready to use it, with the exception of scraps that are smaller than a 10" square .
    I use a modified version of Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Users System:
    http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml\

I cut strips to the sizes she indicates, but leave them long. Don't cut them into squares right away. I also have bigger sizes, 5" and 6.5" She has dozens of free patterns, there's a link to a chart at the top of the page that shows which size patches you need for which quilt.
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html
    Old 04-03-2017, 05:46 AM

I've cut mine up in the past, when I was moving and didn't want to bring tote loads of scraps with me. I cut them up into 5" squares, 3.5" squares and 2" squares. I liked the 5", they were useable; I found the 3.5" a hassle, neither here nor there in useful size. If I were to start cutting my fabric up again I would probably to 7", 5" and 2.5". As for now, I don't cut them up. Never know what might be needed one day!
    Old 04-03-2017, 07:10 AM

I agree with everyone. I never cut up my yardage. You never know when you need a larger piece when you decide on a pattern to make.