Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to Start a Stash >
  • How to Start a Stash

• How to Start a Stash

Old 05-27-2011, 04:33 PM

yes buy nuetrals white biege and each time you want to buy fabric use this rule
    1 yd if you like it
    2 yds more than like
    3 yds you love it
    pick fabrics that have various colors for focal fabric
    stripes, plaids and so on
    always start w/ a focal fabric and pick colors from there
    you will soon find out you like a certain style brand or colors and your stash starts matching more and more
    Do not invest alot in Fat Q's unless making scrap quilts'
    Better to buy 1/3 yd because you get more in width 44 inches across rather than 22" inches
    Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 PM

ok, I'm gonna get whupped up on for this but... I buy what I need for a project. Anything left goes into a clear bin. Yes, "A" clear bin. One, that's it. If I had ton of fabric around I would feel a lot of pressure to use it and that's the last thing I want quilting to become - one more "to do" list. I work one project at a time and when it's about 3/4 of the way done I line up the next one. I will admit that I have a second bucket of projects that I bought the fabric and the pattern at the same time and made my own "kit" - but that is also limited to one bin. And when I don't feel inspired to work on something big I pull something out of the project bin and whip it up. That's usually a big enough break between larger projects. Just a different approach.
    Old 05-27-2011, 04:58 PM

When I buy fabric I usually buy some extra for mess-ups. If I like something a whole lot I buy some. Now
    Connecting Threads is getting me into trouble it's like being in a candy shop when your a kid one of those & that. I watch how I place the fabric and hope to always have some left to put aside. I haven't got a stash like some here it looks like a small store they have and I am jealous but maybe someday I'll get closer to them. I wish I could find a deal like some have here at yard sales. Wow the girl who spent the $25. what a wonderful stash. good Luck buying and saving. Sue
    Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 PM

When you see a fabric that calls to you, buy @ least 2 yards. After awhile you have a stash that inspires you. My GD who is 5 says my stash makes her "happy" because of all the colors! I have been known to ask fabric stores for bolts of fabric in their windows. Of course I went to high school with the owner! :lol:
    Old 05-27-2011, 05:27 PM
    klc

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    My stash grows because I buy fabrics that I love. Then I don't want to use them because I like looking at them. :lol: :lol:
    LOL That's me!!
    Old 05-27-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vickymomof6
    Mine has just grown. I do buy 1/2 yard more of every fabric for a quilt pattern and I'm addicted to fat quarters which do built up into a stash.
    same here...i never planned to have a stash...it just happened... that's my story & i'm sticking to it!
    Old 05-27-2011, 06:42 PM

Six years ago, I had to 'gift' my entire stash. I started over from that point. I have bought remnants, pieces from garage sales (washed immediately), second hand stores (also washed), swaps or sales on this board, I even buy sheets to use for backing at the discount stores. Keep your eyes open, tell your friends what you like, and you too, will build a respectable stash. The swaps and secret pals on this board have been especially helpful to me. I even got a gorgeous wall quilt, made just for me, by a lovely member of this board, as part of a different swap. Welcome to a group who want you to be happy with your hobby. Just a word- if you know ahead of time, what type you would like to make, that will help you decide what amounts to collect. Look at yardages in magazines to begin to "know" how much to buy for you. If you buy fabric for a certain pattern, just buy a little extra of each fabric for your stash. Git-r-done! :thumbup:
    Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by DebQuilter50
    I am a new quilter and I keep reading about everyone's "stash". My question is: How do I start my stash? Do I look for fabrics to add to it or does it just develop and grow as you complete projects and have leftovers?

I have bought a couple of fabrics that I like, but it is hard to know how much to buy if you don't have a specific project in mind.

Thanks to all of you friendly people for answering my questions.
    It starts out that way, with your left over fabric, and then one day you find yourself in a fabric dept. buying just because it's pretty and you love it, and you know you can find a use for it. LOL And it just grows and grows and grows! I usually buy 2 or 3 yards of "I just have to have it" fabric.
    Old 05-28-2011, 12:00 PM

I will see something I like and buy it. It is rare for me to have a specific project in mind. I use to make my own clothes and finally reached a point when I just did not have the time. I would check out fabric stores when I would travel. With that said, two years ago I donated 100's of yards of fabric to a new program at the Community College. Quilt making is addictive and I am weak when it comes to fabric.
    Old 05-28-2011, 12:22 PM

I'm fairly new so I think I can answer how you start a stash. Here's how it happened with me. I started quilting about 3 years ago. I hadn't even heard of the word stash. I just knew that I loved the concept of quilting and I would be in a store and see something that I liked and really didn't have a clue as to what I was going to do with it. Fast forward about 12 months. By that time, you are in a store and you see fabric that you think will go really well with some of the fabric that you have in this one pile in the sewing room. Then in 12 more months you look up and you have several good piles to choose from and now you know that when ever you start a quilt you can go to one of these piles to add to it. And one day, you stumble upon this quilting board and you see everyone talking about stash stash stash and you glance around your sewing room and tadaaaa---You have a stash and didn't even know it! lol