• Main
  • How stupid am I? >
  • How stupid am I?

• How stupid am I?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome to the club.... :roll:
    Old 06-24-2011, 04:56 AM

If that makes you stupid I must be really stupid. I gave made so many mistakes on my quilts but I just fix them and go on. Always another lesson learned.
    Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 AM
    Banned

When I have to fix a mistake that may cause and extra seam I just consider my way of knowing it was handmade, noit made in China. If I get a small pucker in my backing and don't notice till too late I just consider that God's way of telling me where I should put hte label. It will be loved either way.
    Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 AM
    Banned

You know the saying "when you get lemons, make lemonade". Do the same with the quilt backing. Add a piece so it looks like you designed it that way. Folks will think you are so clever and creative. I have a small crib size quilt that I seamed several pieces for the back and folks just exclaim over it. I tell them I just wanted to use up all the left over fabric.
    Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 AM

Careful when ripping sheets, they don't act like fabric. I've ended up with the same problem because the sheet was so out of square.
    Old 06-24-2011, 05:10 AM

You have plenty of company as many of us been there and done that many times.

When I first began quilting all of my backs had added pieces in almost every corner or side. After 11 years I still have that problem once in awhile but since I pin my quilts it's easier to unpin than one that was spray basted, still a big pain in the butt but a little easier.
    Old 06-24-2011, 05:13 AM

When using a sheet or a 108 inch quilting backing, I always allow 5 inches beyond the end of the quilt. I can use the 5 inches for 5 inch squares and don't have the waste or aggrevation. If it does not come out straight, make strips or smaller squares from the excess.

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    I was finishing a throw for my Sister's sofa and was using a bed-sheet for the backing. It was too large so I clipped and ripped it down to a sensible size, layered spray basted. About half way down I noticed that I was running out of backing material on the right hand side, the one I line up with the edge of my table to get a straight edge, what had I done :oops: I used the seamed edge of the sheet NOT the one that I had ripped for a straight edge, so as the sheet was sewn crooked so was the seamed edge I was using :oops: :oops: :oops: did I feel stupid and annoyed, and as I had ironed the backing when sprayed I definitely wasn't going to re-layer it so now the backing has a seamed piece in it, thank goodness it is only a everyday sofa throw and the back won't be seen but a lesson learned, the hard way :thumbdown:
    Old 06-24-2011, 05:29 AM

OOPPS!!! :-D
    Old 06-24-2011, 06:22 AM

Thank you Ladies for your comments, yes at least it was fixable and it has caused no problems as it is for a sofa throw and will get a LOT of wear I am doing quite a tight stipple FMQ and you really can't see the join, but I felt so stupid putting it the wrong way around after going to the trouble of ripping it for a straight seam, as I have already said, a lesson learnt.
    Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Don't beat yourself up about it. My favorite quilting tool is my seam ripper.