Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How wide do you typically make your sashing? >
  • How wide do you typically make your sashing?

• How wide do you typically make your sashing?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 AM

I have done that also, but for certain types of quilts, like the memory quilts or Sampler quilts I always use sashing to more or less change the subject and for these quilts I also like the four inch border because it then becomes a picture in a frame. Sometimes I put sashing around the frame of the quilt and then do a border. It all depends on how you like it. I was more or less telling my way of cutting the sashing and that ruler that is a godsend for the sashing, border and binding. Edie
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

Most of my sashing is about 1 1/2. I never really thought about it, but I just cut what looks good to my eyes for each particular project.
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 AM
    Power Poster

I had the local glass shop make me templates from pexi glass. It's cheap and great for square ups.
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM

You can see by the picture (avatar) of the baby quilt that would have looked horrible with sashing, between the blocks, but it does work around the quilt and then with the border and then you can see about 1-1/2" of the binding.

It's fun, isn't it to do your own thing. I have gotten now to where I have a reputation with my quilts. "It's an Edie quilt." I generally put my personality, love and my own coloring of the design of the block. And it reeks through!!!!!!!! I try to make happy quilts. I really don't follow any color pattern. I just do my own thing and go upon my merry way. Each little square has a meaning.

I made a Memory Quilt - took over a year to make, but each little square was a part of my life and the grandkids like for me to explain the blocks to them. "Oh, this is Christmas in the 50's - 1959 in particular when I met ;your grandfather. I got a little snockered at the Christmas party at work and had to play the organ for the Children's Christmas Program and I walked in, got my robe on, sat at the organ, turned it on, pulled the stops and AWAY I WENT!!!!! I played Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring for the first and only time in my life without a mistake." So every time I look at that block with Christmas trees, holly and bells and music notes all in a retro style of the 50's, I have the most wonderful memory. I lremember my Mom gave me a greasy pork chop to eat before I got to the church so I wouldn't get sick. And then the Superintendent of the Sunday School also had a glow on! Every one should make their own memory quilt - lots of fussy cutting to get just the right memory out of a piece of fabric.

Sorry for carrying on. Edie
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    Most of my sashing is about 1 1/2. I never really thought about it, but I just cut what looks good to my eyes for each particular project.
    Hey, good idea!!!!!! Edie
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I had the local glass shop make me templates from pexi glass. It's cheap and great for square ups.
    Sorry, I screwed up. I like your idea for the templates. I am going to have to try that at our local hardware store. Edie
    Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 AM

Edie - you can "carry on" anytime - loved your story! :-D

And BellaBoo - that is a great idea! I don't need to measure with it anyway and that is MUCH more affordable!

I totally understand about how the sashing can take away from the overall pattern between the blocks. I think the separation looks cool for the I Spy quilt though - and the crumb squares I'm working on will definitely need sashing to give the eye a rest. But I have others in the plans that would not work as well with sashing.
    Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM

I just make them what ever size I want.