Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How wide do you typically make your sashing? >
  • How wide do you typically make your sashing?

• How wide do you typically make your sashing?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Last night I was at JoAnn's looking for a 1-1/2" template (to make a 1" sashing) to make the sashing for an I Spy quilt and all I could find was a 2". I wound up getting it, but I'm thinking that a 1-1/2" might be too wide - ? Maybe it would be good for a bigger quilt....

I also could not find a 5" square template - they had 4-1/2 and 6-1/2 but no 5" - was it just the particular JoAnn's or is this hard to find?
    Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 AM

5" templates are not commonly available, to my knowledge.

The sashing size will depend upon your block size. My DD, and art major, has suggested a multiple of the block size to maintain proportion. 1.5" (2" cut size) would be 1/2 of a 3", or 1/4 of a 6" block.

If your block is 5" finished, I think the 1" finished size sashing would be good. Sorry I can't tell you where to find a 1.5" wide ruler. I haven't seen them. Perhaps someone else will know where to look.

Good luck finding one!
    Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM

Ugh. I thought a 5" cut square was pretty standard. I have so much to learn.
    Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

My JoAnn's was out of them too when I looked last night... I think it is because they just ran a 50% off sale on their notions :wink:
    Sashing can be any width...it depends on the size of the blocks, the look you are going for... really a personal preference :D:D:D
    Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    Ugh. I thought a 5" cut square was pretty standard. I have so much to learn.
    You can find them, they just are not as readily available...and they seem to sell quickly :wink:
    Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM
    Power Poster

Last night I was at JoAnn's looking for a 1-1/2" template (to make a 1" sashing) to make the sashing for an I Spy quilt and all I could find was a 2". I wound up getting it, but I'm thinking that a 1-1/2" might be too wide - ? Maybe it would be good for a bigger quilt....

I also could not find a 5" square template - they had 4-1/2 and 6-1/2 but no 5" - was it just the particular JoAnn's or is this hard to find?
    Normally you would not use a template to cut strips or squares. You would use a ruler to cut a strip of fabric the desired width (whether 1-1/2" or 5"), then "subcut" the long strip into squares.

Square templates are usually used to square up pieced blocks, which can get "wonky" from the sewing and pressing.
    Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Oh my. I think I need a class so someone can hold my hand and show me exactly what to do. I keep thinking I have it figured out.

Thanks for all your advice - I think I will do some more reading and searching before I dare cut.
    Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Oh my. I think I need a class so someone can hold my hand and show me exactly what to do. I keep thinking I have it figured out.

Thanks for all your advice - I think I will do some more reading and searching before I dare cut.
    This is a terrific site for learning such things.
    Go to the top of this page and see the blue lettering under the title?
    If you click on the "search" word, a box will come up so you can type in the word of the topic you are looking for. Click on search and every time that topic is mentioned, you will find a page coming up with a list of the site pages to click on, go to and read for information.
    How fun! A newbie to encourage <wave>
    Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 AM

If you line your fabric up (doubled or tripled, you can cut your fabric 1-1/2" with your wide 6x24" (mine is a Fiskars) ruler. This, along with the mat and rotary cutter is one of the tools my mother, the quilter, (age93 yrs young) says is THE most important. I use it for my vertical sashing, my horizontal sashing (which is much much longer), my borders (4-1/2") and my binding (2-1/2" unfolded). Works like a charm. Edie
    Old 01-05-2010, 06:44 AM

I don't generally do sashing as I prefer my blocks to make secondary designs where they join.

Sashing is a quilter's preference, though generally based on the size of your blocks.

Can't you just strip cut the sashing pieces? The corner stones are usually square and may be small block themselves or plain squares as your preference warrants. For simple blocks I'd use a plain corner stone. You don't want the sashing to overpower the blocks; just set them off.