Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How wide are your seams in quilting? >
  • How wide are your seams in quilting?

• How wide are your seams in quilting?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:14 AM

I feel that pressing the seams open may allow that seam to weaken and also allow the batting to show through. If one presses the seams to one side, the seam is less likely to separate IMHO.
    Old 02-07-2017, 05:47 AM

Yes, this is how I do my seams, nesting them. I especially like them this way when putting them on a Longarm machine. They quilt really nice because they are nested.
    Old 02-07-2017, 06:02 AM

I prefer to press, without steam, to the dark when possible, or whichever way they nest the best. That being said, sometimes I press open if there is a lot of seams meeting at one area to reduce bulk. Remember, no quilt police.
    Old 02-07-2017, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
    I feel that pressing the seams open may allow that seam to weaken and also allow the batting to show through. If one presses the seams to one side, the seam is less likely to separate IMHO.
    I tend to lean toward this logic.....but it may be archaic now with better battings, stronger threads, etc. but pressing to side, preferably dark, if possible, had just been what I do...the few times I have had a project that needed open seams, I've used my little clover iron......
    Old 02-07-2017, 06:44 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin
    One class I went to the instructor insisted we iron the seams open. I had seen so many do this before and they for some reason burn their fingers. At the time I had a couple "craft/aka popsicle sticks. These worked just fine. I left her class early because she called me a wimp for using it and referred to wimping out a few times and glancing over at me directly. Anyway try a craft stick. Super cheap to use and purchase.
    Wonder. If she eventually tried the idea for herself?

Better wimpy than burned.
    Old 02-07-2017, 06:50 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana
    I prefer to press, without steam, to the dark when possible, or whichever way they nest the best. That being said, sometimes I press open if there is a lot of seams meeting at one area to reduce bulk. Remember, no quilt police.
    I also use a scant 1/4" seam allowance.
    Old 02-07-2017, 09:51 AM

I made myself a tool to press open seams. Get a large wooden dowel (approx. 1 1/2 in diameter) and nail a strip of lath (1" X 1.5" X 1/4") to it for stability. Sand it if necessary, but make sure it is clean. Do Not put a finish on it. Then all you have to do is lay the seam on top of the dowel, the seam will pop open enough for the tip of the iron to open it the rest of the way. I use steam and no fingers get in the way.
    Old 02-07-2017, 12:04 PM
    Power Poster

I only press seams open when a lot of them come together. Mine are 1/4" and I don't use steam. Most of the time I finger press the individual components and don't do a final press until the block is complete.
    The other thing I have to remember is to not STID in the pressed-open seams.
    Old 02-07-2017, 02:41 PM
    Power Poster

I sew with a scant 1/4" seam. Usually I press to the dark but, for some patterns, I prefer to press the seams open. I found that my strip sticks make this a lot easier. Here is a link to them:
    http://www.thestripstick.com/
    Old 02-07-2017, 08:54 PM

while I usually will press "to the dark", I've found that when I have several seams coming together (like with several HST all coming to a point), that they lay flatter when quilted if I press seams open. I treated myself to a StripStick (which you can make but I never seem to get those things done!) which when you lay the block so the seam is facing up on top of the StripStick the seams open and you can iron right on the Stick. I still sometimes "wimp" out (how rude she said that too you Tessagin--should have complimented how ingenuous you were) and use a stiletto (bamboo stick) too.