Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How would you applique these?? >
  • How would you applique these??

• How would you applique these??

Old 08-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
    Originally Posted by gal288
    I love the last fabric with your blocks, then use the blue thread that matches, buttonhole stitch.

Can't wait to see the finished quilt, my Grandson is truck crazy, he would love this quilt. Where did you get the pattern?
    I found some of them on fatcatpatterns.com under children's designs, by Sindy Rodenmayer... and some others I searched for coloring pages, and just traced them off, then traced to the fabric...
    Thanks for the info, I'm thinking christmas.

I just made the fatcats jungle quilt wallhanging for his bedroom, came out great. Love their patterns.

Post a photo when you've decided, can't wait to see it!

Your work is great!
    Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
    I love the last fabric with your blocks, then use the blue thread that matches, buttonhole stitch.

Can't wait to see the finished quilt, my Grandson is truck crazy, he would love this quilt. Where did you get the pattern?
    I found some of them on fatcatpatterns.com under children's designs, by Sindy Rodenmayer... and some others I searched for coloring pages, and just traced them off, then traced to the fabric...

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking christmas.

I just made the fatcats jungle quilt wallhanging for his bedroom, came out great. Love their patterns.

Post a photo when you've decided, can't wait to see it!

Your work is great!
    Thanks for all your nice comments...its nice when someone else thinks your work is good...sometimes I think , "ack!!..what are you thinking??..." lol...did you post a pic of your jungle quilt on here? Would love to see it...
    Old 08-23-2011, 05:14 PM

I would use the plaid so that the appliqued vehicles were more prominent in the quilt. Might use the last fabric with the vehicles as the backing fabric. As I understand your post, you usually applique by hand. When you applique by machine you do not have to tie off the threads, only back stitch or stitch in place. Much easier and the threads are more secure than in tying off, also goes so much faster. Your blocks are lovely. If you sandwich the quilt first, then the applique stitch can be your quilting stitch, just select the batting so that it doesn't need close quilting, or just fleece or minky as a backing.
    Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    I would use the plaid so that the appliqued vehicles were more prominent in the quilt. Might use the last fabric with the vehicles as the backing fabric. As I understand your post, you usually applique by hand. When you applique by machine you do not have to tie off the threads, only back stitch or stitch in place. Much easier and the threads are more secure than in tying off, also goes so much faster. Your blocks are lovely. If you sandwich the quilt first, then the applique stitch can be your quilting stitch, just select the batting so that it doesn't need close quilting, or just fleece or minky as a backing.
    I usually use warm and natural, or warm and white batting, so that will work ok...and, I had thought of sandwiching 1st, but then whichever colors of thread I use will show on the back, and won't that look bad?? If I could use it for my quilting, it would save some time, but I don't think it will work, because of the differing thread colors??...You're right, I normally do it by hand, but am going to machine it this time...thanks again to all of you!
    Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
    I'd probably use black all over line a coloring line.
    This was my thought as well. They look like simple coloring book pictures and black would set off all the colors nicely!
    Good job on what you've done so far.
    Kathyd
    Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i would change threads for each section to match but i'm a glutton for punishment.
    Me too...and it's a good way to use up my huge thread collection:>
    Old 08-24-2011, 04:08 AM

Black buttonhole stitch. Will be beautiful.
    Old 08-24-2011, 04:08 AM

I like to match threads too, unless i want something to "pop". Plus I love all the thread colors and can't seem to stop buying it!! I do a lot of appliques, and yes, it's a lot of work but I just like the finished look better. I do feel these particular blocks would look great done in just black or gray, because they're for a boy. BTW, Love the blocks, they look great.
    Old 08-24-2011, 04:09 AM

I did one for a grandson only in trains changing colors for each fabric. By the time I got 1/2 way through I thought I'd pull my hair out! Decided next time I do it I'll pick one color & do it throughout.
    I vote for black or med. gray
    Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 AM

Looks like dark blue would work too with all the possibilities for the sashing. I didn't see the answer to this: What color are you going to appplique them onto? That would make a difference in which sashing value you use. Looks like it's going to be a fun quilt.