Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How would you do this ???? >
  • How would you do this ????

• How would you do this ????

Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 AM

If I were going to add a ruffle, I would forget the binding due to the bulk and I would sew the ruffle in pillow style: where you sew things together right sides together with the ruffle on the inside, leaving an open area near the bottom of the quilt, then turn it.
    Then for quilting, I'd do select stitching rather than a solid overall pattern. Like I did the stars on my t-shirt quilt. You would pick a design or pattern you like and then make it perhaps at the intersections of all the blocks and in the centers.. There are lots of ways to do it..the quilting, it's like tying only with sewing a pattern instead.
    Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM

To prevent extra bulk, you could trim the batting back the width of the seam. It will still be secure when you fold the binding back & sew it down. Just a thought.
    Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
    I have done this for crib quilts. I first make the ruffle, then use narrow fold binding, open one edge and sew to front of ruffle, right sides together. When that is attached, turn the ruffle until the back of the ruffle is toward you. Use a second length of narrow fold binding and repeat the above directions to the back of the ruffle. Next step: With right side of quilt facing you, open the other side of the top portion binding. Machine stitch to the quilt, right sides together. When ruffle and binding stip are completely attached, turn quilt with back facing you. I then press the binding on the back side a little so it is easier to work with (do not open the fold), baste or pin the binding to the back and hand stitch in place. A little bit more work but a better finish than some of the other methods.
    I was thinking about this method too. I was just going to describe it as "quilt as you go" cos I didn't think I could explain it very well. You have done well.
    Old 05-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Cast an eye here:

http://www.askpennyhalgren.com/IKM/q...+your+quilt%3F

;-)
    Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sfguimaraes
    Great! It's mentioned in the other link, though doesnt' give as good of a description of the how to. I'd been thinking about cutting out the cording, but was hesitant.
    Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    My OBW is back into one piece. Now just need the backing put together and I'll prep my binding before sending to the LAQ.

Binding I'm good with ...

EXCEPT I have this idea that I'd like to have a gathered strip of fabric that would stick out from the binding and the quilt (kind of like how a petticoat would hang down from the bottom of a dress).

How would you do this?
    Please? and Thanks!!

(sorry, not sure if I've explained this right)
    From what I read in your post, you are wanting to put the binding on and have a ruffle extend our from the binding? Is this correct?
    I can think of two ways to do this. put your binding on, then make a ruffle and sew it from the back side of the quilt on the outside of the ruffle, this should work, but I would think you would need somehow to fold the raw edge of the ruffle so it will not show, like using a flat feld seam.
    The other way would be to attach the ruffle to the top layer of the quilt, then fold it backand pin it out of the way, then add your binding, making sure the front of the binding covered the raw edge of the ruffle, after binding is complete, unpin the ruffle and press well and most likely you would need to stitch on the very top edge of the ruffle where you first joined it to be sure it would lay flat. I hope this is explained enough to understand. AT least this is how I would do a ruffle on a quilt. Does this make sense?
    Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
    If I were going to add a ruffle, I would forget the binding due to the bulk and I would sew the ruffle in pillow style: where you sew things together right sides together with the ruffle on the inside, leaving an open area near the bottom of the quilt, then turn it.
    Then for quilting, I'd do select stitching rather than a solid overall pattern. Like I did the stars on my t-shirt quilt. You would pick a design or pattern you like and then make it perhaps at the intersections of all the blocks and in the centers.. There are lots of ways to do it..the quilting, it's like tying only with sewing a pattern instead.
    Wildyard has the easiest, most straightforward answer. No extra bulk, no muss, no fuss.
    Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Ask MarthaT - she did a two-sided ruffle. Pretty impressive

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-123445-1.htm
    Old 05-16-2011, 06:58 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS

You're awide and a wake there!
    Thanks ... I just went over to her thread and left a note.
    Hopefully, MarthaT will follow the breadcrumbs I left! :)
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by MTS

I cut fabric strips 2 1/2 inches wide of each fabric. But if you are only using one fabric, cut it 4 1/2 inches wide and fold it in half. (This makes approx. 2" ruffle.)

If you want a really wide ruffle, like a bed skirt, you can make it single thickness and finish one edge with a rolled hem.

The length of the ruffle strips should be about twice the total perimeter of the quilt. Sew them together with angled seams so that when you fold it in half the seam will not be so thick. (Unless you are doing only one thickness of fabric. Then use straight seams.)

Run the long entire length of ruffle material through your ruffler attachment, setting it to gather about every stitch (or your desired amount). If you don't have a ruffler attachment, consider getting one! :-) But you can gather by hand...I would end the gathering threads about every yard and start over so you don't have to gather nine yards of fabric by pulling one set of gathering threads.

Place the gathered ruffle on the top of the quilted quilt like you would a binding strip with the finished edge of the ruffle on top of the quilt, raw edge of ruffle along raw edge of quilt top only. Sew just inside the gathering stitch so it will not show. (Ruffle and quilt top being sewn together only, do not include the backing.) I also zig-zagged along the raw edge to help it lay flatter. Then flip the ruffle outward, turning the seam to the inside. Trim away any batting sticking out into the seam to eliminate that bulk being very careful not to snip the backing fabric! Turn the backing fabric under and handstitch in place.

Tip on corners...I think it works best to round the corners and then push the gathers even tighter together so when you flip it out it doesn't cup up, but lays flat.

I didn't think about making a tute as I worked. I should have.
    Any questions feel free to message me privately.