Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How would you finish quilting this? >
  • How would you finish quilting this?

• How would you finish quilting this?

Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM

Default How would you finish quilting this?

My watercolour star is almost done. I have quilted the star - with feathers out along each point. And the background - with wavy lines, that follow the direction of the star points. But now I don't know what to do with the borders. I thought about straight stitching, echoing the blue border. But I don't think I like how that will cut the star off. And the straight lines after all the freeform seems wrong.
    I considered 45 degree angles, meeting in a V in the center of each side. But again - straight lines don't seem right, plus the angles will be all off against the wavy lines.
    Maybe feathers - but I think I'm feathered out at this point.

So, what would you do in the last part of this quilt? Here are some pictures, which I hope help you to see what I have already done.
    The whole quilt - but I don't know if you can really see the quilting in this one. [ATTACH=CONFIG]337378[/ATTACH]
    A closeup, showing one point with the feathers, and the border around it. Notice how the wavy lines change angle to follow the direction of the next point.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]337377[/ATTACH]
    And a picture of one corner of the backing
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]337379[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails small_p5220044.jpg   small_p5220042.jpg   small_p5220045.jpg  
    Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM

I don't have a suggestion, but just wanted to tell you how pretty it is and your quilting is super nice.
    Old 05-22-2012, 06:45 PM

Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the gradation of the colours and the quilting pattern you've used.
    I would be tempted to do a small straight-line cross-hatch in the black border, then continue the existing waves out in the wider border (as though the black border had been set 'on top of" the waves).
    Old 05-22-2012, 06:48 PM

It is a beautiful quilt but I don't know what would look best on the borders.
    Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM
    Power Poster

Your quilt is beautiful! How about doing feathers again on the border? Use the side of the blue strip as the feather spine on either side of the blue. I can't quite see if you have room to do both halves of the feather or just one half outside of the blue. Fill the blue strip with circles the same width as the blue strip? Kind of like a row of pebbles?

Last edited by Tartan; 05-22-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by neeng
    Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the gradation of the colours and the quilting pattern you've used.
    I would be tempted to do a small straight-line cross-hatch in the black border, then continue the existing waves out in the wider border (as though the black border had been set 'on top of" the waves).
    I like this idea, but unfortunately I didn't do the waves all the way to the dark border. I stopped about 1 inch inside, with a narrow white border, so I have to fill that somehow too, and I think it would break up the waves too much to then continue them on the outside. I do wish I'd thought of this originally, however.
    Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Your quilt is beautiful! How about doing feathers again on the border? Use the side of the blue strip as the feather spine on either side of the blue. I can't quite see if you have room to do both halves of the feather or just one half outside of the blue. Fill the blue strip with circles the same width as the blue strip? Kind of like a row of pebbles?
    The outside edge of the dark border is about the middle of the border strips. Do you think I could use that as a spine, and quilt feathers with one side in the wide white border, and the other side crossing both the blue and white narrow borders? I thought of that but I'm not sure it would look ok.
    Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM

I sitting here giggling because every time any one posts a picture, the quilt inspector is right there. We all love our inspectors.
    Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM

Everything else is so beautiful, I think cross hatching would be great. Plus, it wouldn't detract from the rest of the gorgeous piecing and quilting.
    Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

Cross hatching would work. Straight stitching on the blue border will tend to make the edge wavy, as it would stretch that in relation to the rest. I thiink I would do feathers again, with the outer edge of the blue as the spine, making the feathers uneaven, possibly quilting in a medium blue.