Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How would you quilt this? >
  • How would you quilt this?

• How would you quilt this?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 AM

I have a mid-arm quilt frame set up, have had for years, I want to quilt this quilt of mine, but not sure of what would look nice. I have been doing my own and family quilts for about 3 or 4 years now, but only just starting recently to branch out some. I was going to have this one sent out, but have figured a way to fit it on my frame.
    The problem is that I haven't done much more than large stipples and meandering. I have done a few pantos, but need to constantly challenge myself to do more.
    Having a mid-arm, I only have about 5" of quilt-space at a time, so I need my patterns to be that size or smaller.
    I am not good at picking out designs though.
    What design would you recommend?
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-172310.jpe  
    Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 AM

Very pretty quilty. I am in the same fix as your for quilting. Will be watching for info.
    Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 AM

i love the quilt sorry i am no help as to how to quilt it
    Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM

It is a beautiful quilt. I had to look at it awhile to combine your skill level with something to show off the piecing.
    So here's my 2 cents, since I don't know the size of the blocks, outline the small 4 blocks and then meander (or put a star or other shape) where the large 4 patches meet.
    Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Funny i have the mega quilter which has been sitting for over a month now and i am scared to touch it...lol so i asked the owner of a LQS i went to yesterday and she gave me a website for tear a way patterns for quilting which is a wonderful idea and gives me practice for FMQ. Here is the website:
    www.quiltingmadeeasy.com

I searched for 5" because that is what i have but didn't find any so i am going to call them to find out.
    Good luck
    Old 03-20-2011, 12:10 PM

First I would look to find a relatively simple pattern I like for the big blocks. Then I would try to find something that would look good going over the small 4 patches, probably more of a rope type design.

I might even consider varigated thread for the quilting.

ali
    Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    First I would look to find a relatively simple pattern I like for the big blocks. Then I would try to find something that would look good going over the small 4 patches, probably more of a rope type design.

I might even consider varigated thread for the quilting.

ali
    I hadn't thought about it this way....I will work on that idea! And varigated thread would be awesome!
    Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I took a long arm class her best advice that I have been using. Get a piece of Plexiglas 22x36 wrap the edges with a colorful tape like duct tape. Get some vis a vis pens (water erasable not dry erase) lay the Plexiglas on the quilt and draw your ideas on the Plexiglas it will give you an idea how the design will look on your quilt. I went to Leah days website for her 365 different fmq patterns. I just sit and draw them on the board and find some great ideas and designs.
    Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    Can I make a suggestion? I took a long arm class her best advice that I have been using. Get a piece of Plexiglas 22x36 wrap the edges with a colorful tape like duct tape. Get some vis a vis pens (water erasable not dry erase) lay the Plexiglas on the quilt and draw your ideas on the Plexiglas it will give you an idea how the design will look on your quilt. I went to Leah days website for her 365 different fmq patterns. I just sit and draw them on the board and find some great ideas and designs.
    That is a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing. You may want to consider posting this as a topic so more people see it. :thumbup:
    Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme

Jade, this is a fabulous idea!