Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How would you set these antique candle wick blocks? >
  • How would you set these antique candle wick blocks?

• How would you set these antique candle wick blocks?

Old 02-13-2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    I finished candlewicked blocks into a quilt for a friend a few years ago....the pictures were very poor so won't share here....and then handquilted it. The blocks were set with sashing of a very good muslin to match the background of the candlewicking. I used a natural crochet thread 10 wt. to handquilt it. The quilt looks like a whole cloth quilt and the owner was delighted with it.

If you have only the four blocks shown, maybe you could make a wall hanging or table topper. If you use a very contrasting color with the blocks, that tends to take away from the candlewicking as your main focus. To me, this sort of handwork is better viewed as a neutral or natural whole cloth item, whether you hand or machine quilt it.

Please share when you finish!

Jan in VA
    Hi Jan.....there are 12 blocks....I like your suggestion of sashing with muslin....just worried about being able to match, any suggestions?
    On the other hand, I don't want a colored or printed Sashing to overwhelm or take away from the lovely candle wicking.
    Old 02-13-2015, 04:52 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

If they are very fragile you might be able to preserve them by backing them with a soft interfacing (like that used to embroider t-shirts). Since you said your friend likes to decorate for the seasons, perhaps you could make several wall hangings, use theme fabric to boarder the rectangular pieces, maybe with a block design then a boarder. I love the idea of neutrals , maybe neutral colored seasonal fabrics. Please show us what you end up doing.
    Old 02-13-2015, 05:35 PM

If you do a search on google " candlewick quilts" and then click on "images". Youll see a bunch of ideas
    Old 02-13-2015, 06:25 PM

Whatever you do I think it should stay all white or ecru as it is. I agree that color would detract from the white-on-white.
    Old 02-13-2015, 07:28 PM

I see them with roses and lace.
    Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 PM

With 12 blocks you could easily make a bed runner. Since the blocks are a neutral color, the possibilities are endless. Personally I would leave them the size she made them; just make sure all the blocks measure the same.
    Old 02-14-2015, 01:56 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    I finished candlewicked blocks into a quilt for a friend a few years ago....the pictures were very poor so won't share here....and then handquilted it. The blocks were set with sashing of a very good muslin to match the background of the candlewicking. I used a natural crochet thread 10 wt. to handquilt it. The quilt looks like a whole cloth quilt and the owner was delighted with it.

If you have only the four blocks shown, maybe you could make a wall hanging or table topper. If you use a very contrasting color with the blocks, that tends to take away from the candlewicking as your main focus. To me, this sort of handwork is better viewed as a neutral or natural whole cloth item, whether you hand or machine quilt it.

Please share when you finish!

Jan in VA
    I am with Jan on this one!...keep it super subtle and it will work with any decor and be in keeping with the principle of candlewicking.
    Old 02-14-2015, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito
    I should have also asked....should I cut them square or leave as rectangle? I thought it was interesting that they were 11x17 rather than square....
    I would square the blocks if they were mine. If the material seems fragile is any way, you can stabilize them using iron-on interfacing. Add some sashing and borders using colors your neighbor likes. You can get clues from her home and her clothes. You should be able to make at least a large lap size quilt. They are beautiful.
    Old 02-14-2015, 05:01 AM

Since they are so beautiful and neutral, how about a runner to go across the foot of the bed? With 12 you could do 6 across with added white or ecru sashing, border it and make it wide enough. Just a thought.
    Old 02-14-2015, 05:14 AM

I saw the same Bonnie Hunter post, make sure to iron the section you are going to tug because the ironing will release any old starch.