Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How young is too young for a quilt? >
  • How young is too young for a quilt?

• How young is too young for a quilt?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 AM

never too young or too old
    Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Both my girls were born in Albuquerque, and it was darn cold there in winter. The wind ALWAYS blew there, and even with windows closed the wind would come in and blow on the baby, so I would always hang a quilt over the crib against the wind. Another quilt around her for warmth, it really was needed.
    Even the dog drug her own blanket around at bedtime till someone would cover her in her bed. It was COLD there!
    I was raised in the hills of WV, and have always slept with the
    covers over my head, Grandma said I always did. I still do.
    Confused the heck out of DH!!!
    Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM

Every time you turn around you're being told what not to do especially for a baby and how irresponsable you are. Obviously the survival rate in spite of these taboos that we have all done, is clear.
    In our family the tradition is to make every new baby a quilt. It is up to the parent when they decide to use it or hang it over the end of the crib. As long as it's washable and color fast it's good. Our baby quilts were used for many things. When a baby gets sick in the night a few extra stashes of bedding in reach is such a blessing. There have been times we went through 3-4 sets per a child a night. I groggly stripped down the baby while my husband half eyed wondered into the bathroom and got a warm wash cloth. He then wiped down a waling baby while I stripped and remade the bed. While I nursed the little one back to sleep. He'd fill the tub with water as our temperary wash basin so we would not have to make the basement trek over and over again especially on a clod winter night. So would begin our night vidual. Baby quilts are so nice to have.
    Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Nobody is too young for a quilt.
    Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 PM

I made my girls crib size quilts when they were born, and they even took them to college to lay on there beds,so I think they survived it just fine,what a special person to make some one something to cherish their whole life. As with everything, use common sense and it will be fine
    Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
    Originally Posted by caspharm
    As long as it's the right size, day one is fine. My old guild made quilts for the NICU at the local children's hospital, which were sent home with the babies.
    In NICUs they're still not usually used to cover for warmth. They're laid over isolettes to block light and provide decoration. They also do things in NICUs that you shouldn't at home because the babies are monitored 24/7.
    Actually they use thin flanel blankets in the NICU to swaddle the babies (which is a blanket)- they'll even show the parents how. Our son was a premmie and the best nurses were those who let you parent not those who were constantly telling you how and what which only intensifies your stess and feeling inadequite. You're taking that little one home with you and forbidding you from this and that is ridiculious. Parents can use common sense. Things like flame retardent materials are no longer recommened and being fazed out do to the toxins in them- what was designed for safety wasn't so safe. You can spend all your time worrying about following 'the rules' or you can relax and enjoy your little one- it's better for both of you.
    When I was worrying about sleeping positions and blankets I lost a lot of sleep reajusting the baby. Our youngest from day one was a loud breather and the only way either of us slept was with him propped on my arm all night- guess what- we both survived. Yes, I do believe having a baby next to you at night is good especially when you're both tired and nursing. When we brought our first home (the premmie) we were a reck over no sleep because of trying to follow the doctors orders to the t. Finally we brought him into our bedroom(He fit in a arm chair at first) then a cstome bed/crib next to me. We all began to get sleep .
    Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM

I did not use quilts in the crib only because in Arizona it is too hot. I nice thermo blanket or flannel was enough. I make baby blankets to sell and they are 45x45 and double flannel. Like I said it is enough in Arizona.
    Old 05-17-2011, 04:47 PM

anyone ever notice all the "rules" change for babies every 5 years or so? i notice they flip flop a lot. one time its ok, another its not, then its ok again. I think if a person just uses common sense, they'll do fine.
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039
    anyone ever notice all the "rules" change for babies every 5 years or so? i notice they flip flop a lot. one time its ok, another its not, then its ok again. I think if a person just uses common sense, they'll do fine.
    The rules do change. All we can do is follow current recommendations. My common sense tells me to listen to my pediatrician and the AAP. I would never fault previous generations for following their different advice.
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM

I have just recently heard not to use quilts with babies. Babies kick and squirm therefore doctors are concerned that quilts will work their way over babies heads causing babies to not breath as easy .I mostly used the light weight blankets on my girls beds and quilts to go out and play on floors with.But my mother raised 7 and my mother in- law raised 17 with quilts and no mishaps.