Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ? on HST sizes >
  • ? on HST sizes

• ? on HST sizes

Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Abby'smom
    there is a post on this site that makes 4 61/2 inch hsts from 2 91/2 inch squares by sewing around the 2 squares and then cutting diagonally in both directions-- neat idea to save time!
    This seems like a quick and easy way to get HST, but remember all of your squares will be on bias and stretchy.
    Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM

madquilter hit it on the nose... they will be sized perfectly and lay perfectly flat... the first thing i do on any quilt is to count the number of HSTs i need, Then I separate for color, count, figure out how big a grid to draw and then sew all i need of one color, cut, press and square up every HST before proceeding. if i need a 6 (finished) i cut at 7, two seams come off and then there is still a tiny bit of trimming to do...but they will all be perfect.
    Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 PM

Yes, I have made that pattern. I cut mine at 7 1/2 and trimmed each one. it doesn't take long with a 6 1/2" square up ruler. Here's mine.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t158183.html
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 AM

I dont make them that large but you can make 8 at a time by using two 14inch squares, draw an x. sew 1/4 in down both sides of lines. Cut in half on both sides then on drawn line. You will have 8 triangles that will only need a scant square up.
    This method is El Burns way. For each size squares needed you add 2 inchs to the size of the two squares. So a 2 1/2 inch you use 6 in squares, for 3 1/2 use 8 inch squares. I also have the triangulations cd but it was expensive for what you get.
    But it does make exact size HST.
    I highly recommend Quilt In A Days triangle square up ruler, it saves so much time when squareing up HSTs. One cut.
    Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 AM

i made two of those last year following that pattern. They went together quite well. while I wouldn't call them "4 hour quilts" they really didn't take all that long to make.
    Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Her's another time saving technique fo cut several HSTs: 1) Multiply your FINISHED square by 2. (2) Add 2 to this number. Now cut a square this size ( Fin. block size x 2 +2).Draw two diagonals ,then mark centers for sides an draw lines connecting the centers ( cross). Sew 0,25 on both sides of both diagonals ONLY. When done , cut along the two diagonals AND the cross connecting side centers. Makes 8 HSTs. Trim if necessary.

SORRY Rose Marie, I didn't read your post before posting mine as I was interrupted.

Last edited by hevemi; 01-13-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I was interrupted and missed previous posts
    Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Care to make a tutorial on this ???? Id like to see this..

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I dont make them that large but you can make 8 at a time by using two 14inch squares, draw an x. sew 1/4 in down both sides of lines. Cut in half on both sides then on drawn line. You will have 8 triangles that will only need a scant square up.
    This method is El Burns way. For each size squares needed you add 2 inchs to the size of the two squares. So a 2 1/2 inch you use 6 in squares, for 3 1/2 use 8 inch squares. I also have the triangulations cd but it was expensive for what you get.
    But it does make exact size HST.
    I highly recommend Quilt In A Days triangle square up ruler, it saves so much time when squareing up HSTs. One cut.
    Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 PM

The Quilt In A Day website has tutes for HST and flying geese. El burns methods are great.
    I have posted the pics before on a blog awhile back. But would it be legal to give a tute of someone elses method?
    So far I have found it to be the best way unless you are very good at making exact size HSTs. This way they are not on the bias and they turn out perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails cut-6-sq-8-tri_01.jpg   uncut-triangle-2-.jpg   trimed-triangle-tabs-off.jpg  
    Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Thanks Rose Marie.