Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HSTs and Squares -- good enough, or start over? >
  • HSTs and Squares -- good enough, or start over?

• HSTs and Squares -- good enough, or start over?

Old 09-23-2016, 02:26 PM

Something that helps me when I'm stitching long rows together is to tack each intersection together with my sewing machine using three or four stitches, then I check each one and fix any that need fixing. If I do have to pin rather than simply nesting the seams I'll just use my hand wheel to sew the tacking stitches and that way can easily sew over the pins-- the needle will just slide over them. I check each tacked intersection as I go and fix it immediately then move up to the next intersection and tack it--- no stitching in between. Once the intersections are tacked then I sew the entire row starting at one end and making sure to stitch exactly over the tacked areas as I progress to the other end. This method allows me to ease in any areas where there may be a slight size difference in the squares and for me it's faster and more acurrate than trying to pin an entire row and then sew it.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 09-23-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    Old 09-23-2016, 02:56 PM
    Power Poster

Very good Hint Rob. I would have never thought of that. Thanks mary
    Old 09-23-2016, 03:25 PM

I think your corners are great! I love your color selection! I have been quilting a long time and I was once told that we are our own worst critic!
    I use water when I am fudging my points into place. Especially if I have already cut the fabric and there is no more for fixing problems. Water will help the HST stretch a little more than it might want to and as it dries there will be less of a pucker.

Mary
    Old 09-23-2016, 05:51 PM

I have learned in my short quilting career to make extra blocks. If something doesn't look right when I assemble my quilt, I can ditch it and put in one of my spares. Right now, I am making a quilt that requires 16 rolling stars. I am making 23. If one of my blocks doesn't turn out OK then I can sub in an extra. If they all turn out great, I can make a pillow or pillow sham to complement my quilt. Half squares are not good candidates for ripping in my opinion. If I had your problem, I might use sashing or alternate my blocks with a solid. What you do is less important than what you learn from this experience. We all learn valuable lessons as we go along. My choice would be to move forward. Don't get overwrought with mistakes, but blossom and grow from the lessons you are learning.
    Old 09-24-2016, 05:09 AM

Hey, Barb. That's a great link. Thanks for sharing. And Pagzz, we share the same philosophy....only I may redo only once or twice. One of these days all of those "missed" blocks will go into a utility quilt.
    Old 09-24-2016, 05:57 AM
    Power Poster

I agree. looks great. Jan's diagram/illustration is good. You can save Jan in Va's diagram. Just right click on your mouse scroll to save picture and label it. That's what I do and did. Great for reference.
    Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
    I think the picture shows an excellent job done. If it's not going in a show where quilt police are I would pat my back if I was you.
    Old 09-24-2016, 07:52 AM

Tacking the intersections sounds like a great idea, Rob -- so long as I can learn to control my stitching well enough to track exactly over my prior tacking stitches, rather than my sometimes-off straight stitching. Hopefully practice over time and my new Juki will help me with that! Mary, I'm wondering how you use water to coax/stretch HSTs into place -- too new at this to be clued in, but I want to learn. I also think I'll try cutting extra pieces and making extra blocks as Innov8r and others have suggested. I've saved Jan's diagrams too. Thanks to all who've chimed in here -- I've really been learning a lot. And thanks again for your encouraging compliments (but Mary, this quilt top is being made from a Libs Elliott pattern and I take no credit for her color selection, though I am kind of excited to be designing the quilt back especially for my son).
    Old 09-24-2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    The one thing I do not see mentioned in quilting circles, including here, is that WOF cotton, has a naturally occurring stretch, but if you tug just inside a selvege edge, it does not stretch. As I cut my smaller squares or whatever shape, I try very hard not to turn the fabric, so my stretch will all be on the horizontal and the no stretch stays in the vertical position. If any of you can explain this better for a 'newbie' please jump in. I am not so good at making some things clear. If you do this as you cut, your corners nearly always match as if by magic.
    I'm so glad you mentioned this. It's something I never think about but I can see how it could make a difference, although it's more to worry about when putting blocks together. How do you keep it all in your head when putting your blocks together: dark here or there, these in this row, warp/weft going which way...it's all too much I tell ya.
    Old 09-24-2016, 12:40 PM

I just work a little slower and methodically place things in my stacks in predetermined positions on a tray, and move the tray where needed. Worth the little extra work to get things to fit. Since I work slow anyway, adding a little more care makes very little difference to my finish date. Lol!
    Old 09-24-2016, 03:38 PM

So many good comments. I really wish we had a "Like" button. I would have used it several times in this conversation

And I do really like the quilt colors....so bright and cheery. I look forward to seeing the finished project.