Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hubby taking over my quilting tools! >
  • Hubby taking over my quilting tools!

• Hubby taking over my quilting tools!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 AM

Oh yes, my SO has taken my spare rotary cutter, mat, a ruler, and my bendable ruler down to his shop. I will probably never see them again. Good reason to go shopping for more.
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
    Yesterday, I was planning to work on a table runner but couldn't find my cutting table. What the heck? How does something that big go missing? No problem. I'll use the dining room table, but my cutting mat is missing, along with my 24" ruler and rotary cutter. Thought I was going crazy until I heard grumbling from the spare bedroom. There was my hubby, cutting table, cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter. He was cutting window shade films for the spare bedroom and decided my quilting tools were exactly what he needed to get the job done. Not sure if it's good or bad to use my rotary cutter for cutting film. I may give him my cutter make him buy me a new one.

I should have taken a picture of him leaning over the cutting table, carefully using my quilting stuff. It would have made good blackmail material for his golfing buddies!

Any other hubbies who use your quilting tools? He's also used my scrapbooking tools. Don't men have their own tools???
    The Nerve!!!!!!

LOL

Just be happy he wasn't using it for hose repair on the car.
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 AM

At my house, I have been threatened that my 60mm rotary cutter would be used to cut pizza!
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Just once using my scissors to cut wire and DH now understands not to touch ANYTHING in my sewing room without asking first! I would definitely ask for a new rotary cutter and tell him he could have my old one! (Wait until he has to replace a blade and finds out how much they cost!!!)
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
    (Wait until he has to replace a blade and finds out how much they cost!!!)
    That won't stop him......He will just go to Harbor Freight....LOL
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 AM

OOOOOH! Shame, shame, shame! That is just not acceptable. I might just have to use the remote control to swat flies! See the rules are simple in our house, I stay out of the garage tools without permission and he stays out of the sewing room without permission. Its not even a spoken rule, we just KNOW. My poor sweetie made the mistake one time of reaching for a pair of my scissors to cut a tag off a pair of pants he was modeling. When fire flew from my eyes and my head started spinning and pea soup gushed out my ears he changed his mind. So I just give him the same respect I expect.
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by annieshane
    Yes, they have their tools...but can't find them as easily as we quilters. We seem to have a place for our tools so we don't have to look for them. I actually have favorite screw drivers, etc hidden so my husband can't find them and get them greasy. Once he takes a tool, either I find it somewhere with grease or oil on it, or never see it again. Just easier to keep them safely tucked away.

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
    Yesterday, I was planning to work on a table runner but couldn't find my cutting table. What the heck? How does something that big go missing? No problem. I'll use the dining room table, but my cutting mat is missing, along with my 24" ruler and rotary cutter. Thought I was going crazy until I heard grumbling from the spare bedroom. There was my hubby, cutting table, cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter. He was cutting window shade films for the spare bedroom and decided my quilting tools were exactly what he needed to get the job done. Not sure if it's good or bad to use my rotary cutter for cutting film. I may give him my cutter make him buy me a new one.

I should have taken a picture of him leaning over the cutting table, carefully using my quilting stuff. It would have made good blackmail material for his golfing buddies!

Any other hubbies who use your quilting tools? He's also used my scrapbooking tools. Don't men have their own tools???
    I'm sorry to laugh, but this is just too funny!! I read it these two posts to my DH (we understand..ask us how) and when I read Annieshane's reply and couldn't contain myself anymore he said, "Now that's just plain mean!" [ as he was laughing as well. He says his tools have legs. I often tell him they're his.]. We often go 'round about this stuff for exactly those reasons. LOL!
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:21 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Cost my ex $50 the first time he used my Gingher shears for paper without asking. Yeah, I could have just had them sharpened for much less, but that wouldn't have made the point now, would it? ;-) :D

Jan in VA
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 AM

When we got married 22 years ago, my hubby had a small, almost empty, tool box. I had a closet full of both power and hand tools (a woman living alone needs these things). He has never put anything back that he borrowed from that closet, now I have no tools and he is happily setting up a workshop in the garage of our new home. To my knowledge he has never bought a tool during our marriage but these are all his tools now. At least they'll be together in one place instead of scattered all over like they have been.

Hey, I might even get to borrow one now and then. At least I know I'll like using them since I picked them all out.
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 AM

My DH knows to ask if he wants to use any of my tools or such. Guess I'm lucky.