Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hubby taking over my quilting tools! >
  • Hubby taking over my quilting tools!

• Hubby taking over my quilting tools!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Yesterday, I was planning to work on a table runner but couldn't find my cutting table. What the heck? How does something that big go missing? No problem. I'll use the dining room table, but my cutting mat is missing, along with my 24" ruler and rotary cutter. Thought I was going crazy until I heard grumbling from the spare bedroom. There was my hubby, cutting table, cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter. He was cutting window shade films for the spare bedroom and decided my quilting tools were exactly what he needed to get the job done. Not sure if it's good or bad to use my rotary cutter for cutting film. I may give him my cutter make him buy me a new one.

I should have taken a picture of him leaning over the cutting table, carefully using my quilting stuff. It would have made good blackmail material for his golfing buddies!

Any other hubbies who use your quilting tools? He's also used my scrapbooking tools. Don't men have their own tools???
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Yes, they have their tools...but can't find them as easily as we quilters. We seem to have a place for our tools so we don't have to look for them. I actually have favorite screw drivers, etc hidden so my husband can't find them and get them greasy. Once he takes a tool, either I find it somewhere with grease or oil on it, or never see it again. Just easier to keep them safely tucked away.

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
    Yesterday, I was planning to work on a table runner but couldn't find my cutting table. What the heck? How does something that big go missing? No problem. I'll use the dining room table, but my cutting mat is missing, along with my 24" ruler and rotary cutter. Thought I was going crazy until I heard grumbling from the spare bedroom. There was my hubby, cutting table, cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter. He was cutting window shade films for the spare bedroom and decided my quilting tools were exactly what he needed to get the job done. Not sure if it's good or bad to use my rotary cutter for cutting film. I may give him my cutter make him buy me a new one.

I should have taken a picture of him leaning over the cutting table, carefully using my quilting stuff. It would have made good blackmail material for his golfing buddies!

Any other hubbies who use your quilting tools? He's also used my scrapbooking tools. Don't men have their own tools???
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:23 AM

LOL..My DH lives in fear of that sewing room..he wouldn't have the nerve to try it..about 10 years ago..he made a mistake and used my rotary cutter for wrapping paper..need I say more !!!
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Hehehe that is funny! Aren't they the ones that don't let us touch their tools? You should have gotten a pic! LOL but it was pretty clever of him to realize how much easier it would make his task!
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 AM

my DH is a computer programmer. He wouldn't be caught anywhere near fabric or my quilting stuff.
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:28 AM

That is why I have my own tool box although DH still uses it. Always easier to find.
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
    LOL..My DH lives in fear of that sewing room..he wouldn't have the nerve to try it..about 10 years ago..he made a mistake and used my rotary cutter for wrapping paper..need I say more !!!
    I have two cutters one ofr fabric and one for paper card and other stuff that isn't fabric. I have the hbster trained to use the one for paper when he makes up cards ( he prints doggie pictures on card and then folds them. He use to trim them with scisors until I showed him how easy it was to trim them up with a rotary cutter. It's all about the education.
    :o)
    Becks
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:45 AM

DH has the genetic trait of using the first correct tool he sees to do the job. I painted my tools day-glow orange - all of them including quilting.
    No wondering whose it is. :)
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 AM
    Power Poster

Men and tools. Go figure!
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:57 AM

I have my own tool box too, but I occasionaly use some of his. I just borroed his awl to make holes in a fleece square so I can crochet around the edges for a baby blankie. I guess I need to get one of those rotary blades that make holes.

I don't think he'd ever dream of rummaging through my quiliting tools. (Good!) It's all totally foreign to him. He does know the "never touch my Gingher's" rule. :)

Originally Posted by sandyo
    That is why I have my own tool box although DH still uses it. Always easier to find.