Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hunter Star cornerstones for my scrappy quilt. >
  • Hunter Star cornerstones for my scrappy quilt.

• Hunter Star cornerstones for my scrappy quilt.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

Default Hunter Star cornerstones for my scrappy quilt.

Since my retirement a month ago, I have been working on cleaning out my sewing room and my quilting room. They were both disasters. It has been like going shopping all over again. I have found many things I didn't know I had. That is another story.
    I have come across many UFO's. I know I would win the UFO quantity contest. One of them was a scrappy quilt that I thought needed a border. I made 4 Hunter's Star blocks to use as corner stones in this quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555073[/ATTACH]

The cornerstones are 7" square and have over 50 pieces of fabric in each one. My question is this,
    Are these stars totally inappropriate for this quilt. Should I make stars like are in the center of the quilt instead? Your opinions are greatly appreciated. These are the Hunter's Stars I made.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]555074[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555075[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555076[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555077[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails scrappy-quilt-star.jpg   scrappy-hunters-star-1.jpg   scrappy-hunters-star-2.jpg   scrappy-hunters-star-3.jpg   scrappy-hunters-star-4.jpg  

Old 08-01-2016, 05:05 AM

I think it would be appropriate but, probably because of the lighting, the colors do not look like they go. I like your star in the middle and the pale yellow background of it. I also don't think it's as busy as the other stars. More background showing. BTW, your Hunter stars are beautiful.
    Old 08-01-2016, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

At least you are making progress. I would win hands down but I am trying to get them straighten out and organized!
    Old 08-01-2016, 06:01 AM

I think your cornerstones are lovely. Audition them with whatever you are going to put between them and see if "they go".
    Old 08-01-2016, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

First of all, I don't think your scrappy quilt needs a border, unless you want to make it bigger. It's lovely just as it is. And your Hunter's Stars are the wonderful start of a scrappy Hunter's Star quilt, so I would probably make a bunch more of them. Until you put 4 together you don't see the arrows that give the Hunter's Star the first part of the name. You could put them with this quilt (if the colors are right, hard to tell from the pictures) but I don't think they will have the impact that you want after all that work.
    Old 08-02-2016, 03:25 AM
    Suz

I agree w/dunster, your quilt is ready to be bound. I love, love, love your stars. This star has been added to my "Must Do" as I am leaning heavily to scrap quilts right now. These stars should take a good bite out of my scrap bin. Thanks for sharing your photos.
    Old 08-02-2016, 03:30 AM

I think your scrappy quilt is good to go too! I don't think it needs the hunter's stars at the corners. Not sure if your thought was to reign in the rest of the quilt with them and a solid border? Don't think that would have the desired effect though. A solid frame would take away from your current quilt. A pattern frame would take away from your current quilt. Save those wonderful hunter's stars for their own quilt!

Congratulations on retiring! Time to sew/quilt/enjoy life!
    Old 08-03-2016, 06:45 AM

Hunter Stars are very beautiful - an entire quilt with these would catch my eye 100%
    Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Of course, we don't know the size of the original scrappy quilt, but at this point, unless you really want to make it bigger, why mess with adding a border? I think it is quite lovely as is. I think I would save your Hunter's Start blocks for another quilt.......
    Old 08-16-2016, 06:38 PM
    Power Poster

Love your quilt, you are so talented. Good luck on cleaning your two rooms. Enjoy your retirement.