Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This hurt my feelings >
  • This hurt my feelings

• This hurt my feelings

Old 03-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Years ago I made a darling three piece outfit for my three year old niece. Her mother (SIL) sold it at the flea market. Did the same thing for a DIL for my first grandchild and she did the same thing, sold it at th flea market. Made a lovely dressy jacket for MIL to go with her best dress. She was "embarrassed" to have to wear that homemade thing. None of them ever got a thing again. Why cast pearls before swine.
    Old 03-11-2010, 02:58 PM

Well, you know not to waste your time and money making her anything!
    Old 03-11-2010, 03:11 PM

There are some people for whom I would not make a quilt. Too much money, time and effort goes into it for the little regard they would have for the gift. I go out and buy them something nice or if I really want to make them feel like they got a great gift, I get them a gift-card to a fancy resturant.
    laughing....if I do that for a family member, it means that they don't have capacity for a better gift, like a quilt.

Now there are some who really appreciate my quilts and I will make them for as long as I can. I also make them for myself.

Your sil is clueless. Just buy her a resturant gift-card for her birthday or Christmas gift.
    ;-D
    Old 03-11-2010, 03:21 PM

I agree kaypatt!
    I know who, in my family, will never get another quilt and who will receive one every so often! I really enjoy making the downy quilts for kids. I KNOW they are needed and will be appreciated!
    See downy.com for info.
    Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by pam1966
    Yes, I got my feelings hurt. :roll: It was a remark that my SIL made. Bless her heart, she's pretty clueless, and I should consider the source, but it still upset me.

I was starting on a quilt for my mother. My SIL had come over to visit, and asked me what I was working on. So I told her. She then said to my dh, "At least she saves you money by making gifts!"

I didn't say a word. But what I wanted to say was....do you have any idea how much fabric costs nowadays? Not to mention all the time and effort that goes into this? I know you can trot on down to Bed Bath & Beyond and buy a comforter set on sale, yes I understand that. But for the money that a lot of quilts have in them (not counting our "labor")...we could go out and buy something in five minutes.

I guess it hurt me more because she didn't even consider the fact that I'm making this as a gift....something that I've made myself. My dh told me not to worry about it, that she takes after his mother and blurts out things without even thinking.

I know all this, but it still bugs me. :lol:
    Sometimes, I think it's better to tell people your feelings were hurt by their statement. At least, you may get an apology back.

You're absolutely right! Most people have no idea how much time & love we put into making a quilt, not to mention the cost.

I've had women ask me if I had a hobby, when I told them, I was a quilter, their remarks were - "Oh you're one of those". Now, what does that mean? :?
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Don't defend or explain yourself to her.

Having a battle of wits with an unarmed person is futile.

I used to get my feelings hurt by people like her too until I realized that their remarks were either out of jealousy or uncontrolled stupidity. Uncreative people are often jealous of but will never be able to compete with us. Don't be surprised or intimidated if she gives your MIL a purchased comforter or quilt.
    She's to be pitied.
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    Don't defend or explain yourself to her.

Having a battle of wits with an unarmed person is futile.

I used to get my feelings hurt by people like her too until I realized that their remarks were either out of jealousy or uncontrolled stupidity. Uncreative people are often jealous of but will never be able to compete with us. Don't be surprised or intimidated if she gives your MIL a purchased comforter or quilt.
    She's to be pitied.
    Well said. As of now stupidity is not against the law! You will have the last laugh.
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
    Zoe

It is amazing how people blurt out hurtful things. I had been working on a quilt for some time during my son's teen years. One day he and his friend stopped by and asked me what I was doing? My son blurted out "this quilting is what people in poverty have." I was astounded that he could be so ignorant of the expense, the effort, the skill, and the time invested in a quilt.

It would be many years later when our son, now grown and married with a family, asked one day if I was going to give them a quilt. And guess which one he wanted? The quilt that I had been working on that day. It's called Dresden Plate...and I was so delighted that "the wheel had come full circle."

You just have to let rude and mean comments roll off your back...and keep on quilting! LoL :lol:
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Just consider the source and be happy in the knowledge you have that YOU can do it and she cannot. A good story along this line; but even worse. I have a friend who made two quilts using patriotic fabrics for each of her brothers who were in their 60's or even 70. She mailed them to each as a keepsake( she makes fabulous quilts). She got one back from her SIL (wife of one brother) saying, "These colors don't go in our house so I am sending this back to you." Talk about being hurt. So see there are just some people who just don't get it.
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltntime
    I've had women ask me if I had a hobby, when I told them, I was a quilter, their remarks were - "Oh you're one of those". Now, what does that mean? :?
    I can practically hear the undertone with which that insult was hurled. lol Don't worry - I am one of those too and quite proud of it!