Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This hurt my feelings >
  • This hurt my feelings

• This hurt my feelings

Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter2B
    You are right, she's clueless. I started keeping a journal a couple of years ago for various projects i work on; it never ceases to amaze me how much time I put into somethings. Keep up the awesome work!
    I agree, and I can see why it hurt.
    Old 03-09-2010, 03:11 AM

My daughters sister-in-law was the same way towards my quilts, she helped my daughter pack to move and she asked where in the world did you get all these blankets, and my daughter said, my mom makes the quilts for the kids, and she then said, well you need to tell her that you don't need this crap. My daughter was very embarassed because I heard the whole thing. Now her sil has her own house and guess what she wants....a quilt. Guess what she is not getting from me!!!!
    Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
    My daughters sister-in-law was the same way towards my quilts, she helped my daughter pack to move and she asked where in the world did you get all these blankets, and my daughter said, my mom makes the quilts for the kids, and she then said, well you need to tell her that you don't need this crap. My daughter was very embarassed because I heard the whole thing. Now her sil has her own house and guess what she wants....a quilt. Guess what she is not getting from me!!!!
    lol go girl
    Old 03-09-2010, 03:52 AM

She should be upsided on the back of the head!!! That's plain rude. Maybe you should get her to make her own!! Bring her on over and even gift her some material and let her have a go at it!!! Just do something small like a wallhanging!!! Start explaining how to do HST's and why you just can't cut a sq. in 1/2 and that you need to add 7/8 to it and so on. Would be a totally eye opening experience for her. :-D
    Old 03-09-2010, 04:06 AM

Clueless in Tennessee! Sorry this has happened to you. It is sad that people do not appreciate how long, how much it costs, the search for the right fabric etc, it takes to make a quilt.
    Old 03-09-2010, 04:12 AM

I have a friend who knows I make quilts and she has told me about her sister's MIL who made quilts all hand pieced and quilted. I don't know why this bothers me but it seems like a putdown.
    Old 03-09-2010, 04:52 AM
    JJs
    Banned

I raised my kids to not care diddley-squat about stupid people and their mean putdowns and 'making fun of' - we have a handicapped 'child' and they all three learned at an early age just how cruel and nasty people can be - adults as well as children...

And as hard as it is to face - some people will never 'get it', and they get a certain pleasure out of being mean and bad and nasty - I taught Angie (the one who is still here with us) to tell them "God is watching you" - of course, if they are atheist, they don't care (LOL)

Just assume that this woman is a nitwit and go from there - bless her heart......
    Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM

I would much rather have something MADE for me than BOUGHT for me! There's so much more thought into the gift than the buying. A quilt will last more than a lifetime. The store bought items are lucky to last a few years. I'm sorry that you had to see the ugly side of your SIL, but we as quilters know all the work that goes into making one and appreciate your art. Keep up the good work and post a picture when done so we can all admire it!!
    Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    She should be upsided on the back of the head!!! That's plain rude. Maybe you should get her to make her own!! Bring her on over and even gift her some material and let her have a go at it!!! Just do something small like a wallhanging!!! Start explaining how to do HST's and why you just can't cut a sq. in 1/2 and that you need to add 7/8 to it and so on. Would be a totally eye opening experience for her. :-D
    I'm sorry that you have such a clueless SIL. They frequently are. But I think that Sewcrafty is right. Invite her over and teach her how to do a small project....although I wouldn't have the fabric ready, I'd take her shopping with my color wheel, so that she would get the experience from beginning to end. However, at the same time you know how much love, creativity, time and effort go into a gift like this. Know that what you are giving is a gift of the heart and it is precious simply for that reason. Clueless SILs aside.
    Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 AM

I'd just like to add at least you know who NOT to make one for. Personally, I'd rather give to someone who apreciates the work that goes into it. She's giving you the heads up not to waste your precious time on someone who would not cherish your work...I think that's a blessing....maybe I just see it differently.

I had a woman ask me not long ago if I'd make her granddaughter a quilt because she wanted one and was absolutely not going to pay for the ridiculous (?!?) prices at the local WalMart LOL. I told her that the fabric alone costs more than a cheapie WalMart one, not to mention the batting, thread, LABOR, etc...and if she didn't want to pay for that, maybe she'd rather do a gift card towards one or find a different gift.

There are a lot of clueless people out there and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even when some people know what goes into it, they don't find quilts as beautiful as we do. Hang in there and please try not to let the digs get to you...some people are just rude. Hug your husband and be glad he turned out well despite his home environment LMAO.