Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This hurt my feelings >
  • This hurt my feelings

• This hurt my feelings

Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 AM
    Power Poster

when finished, just mention to her that quilts can sell for $400 and up!!
    my DIL doesn't want anymore "blankies", so i don't make my granddtrs anymore. sigh.
    Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 AM

I'm afraid there are a lot of people in this world who just consider hand made items to be "inferior" to purchased ones. People who have no appreciation of a craft are those who have never tried one. My daughter used to be one of them till she took up crochet. Now she is really good at it and has a real appreciation for all the hard work it takes to develop enough skill to make really nice items.

I must admit, there are crafts and skills I find less than appealing to do for myself, but still appreciate the time, expense and hard work it takes to do them.

There is no excuse for poor manners. And I'm sad to say that manners is one thing sadly lacking with today's youth.
    Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 AM

I;m sorry she hurt your feelings,but she saved you the time and energy to make her one.I love all the gifts people make for me. I feel like they are sharing a piece of them selfs.
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 AM

I say when people like this finally decide they want a quilt (and eventually they do, although they usually want it for free and next week) we just give them $20 and tell them to go to Walmart and pick it out...
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 AM
    Power Poster

Everyone here is so nice! I am not quiet when someone says something I don't like. I want an explanation right then and there. Many times it's not said as intended but when it is the person back tracks and looks darn foolish. No one makes me feels bad without explaining why I should feel bad.
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 AM

We have told our kids not to buy for us for Christmas, to use it for thier kids. But every year, my daughter makes us something. She scrapbooks and has made frames with all the grands, calendars with pictures on each month and everyone's bday. She has her boys help her, so they are part of the gift, too. She says they are just little things, but to us, they are treasures. One son made us tapes of all of his radio shows (he is a talk show host for his campus station). Another son gets hams and turkeys for gifts from work and he gives them to us for holiday meals. The youngest son comes often to help with heavy stuff, so his Dad won't have to lift them. Some people get it and some don't.
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM

I have two wonderful sisters who really appreciate my quilts and they get alot of quilted gifts from me and tell all their friends. I also have two sister in laws that have never said didily squat about my quilts, and they dont get nothing from me.
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 AM

So she doesn't know the warm fuzzy feeling you get everytime you work on a project. Or the wqrm fuzzy feeling you get when you look at a picture of one of your quilts. Or the warm fuzzy feeling you give to others everytime they use the quilt.

It sounds like she is hurting a bunch more than you are. But then that's just my opinion.
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
    My daughters sister-in-law was the same way towards my quilts, she helped my daughter pack to move and she asked where in the world did you get all these blankets, and my daughter said, my mom makes the quilts for the kids, and she then said, well you need to tell her that you don't need this crap. My daughter was very embarassed because I heard the whole thing. Now her sil has her own house and guess what she wants....a quilt. Guess what she is not getting from me!!!!
    BRAVO !!!
    Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
    I say when people like this finally decide they want a quilt (and eventually they do, although they usually want it for free and next week) we just give them $20 and tell them to go to Walmart and pick it out...

Perfect answer Rachel! lol
    I do know how you feel Pam - I once got a box of things of my grandmother's that Dad wanted my sisters & I to have. My step-mom had packed the box & used a Christmas wallhanging I made for her as packing.
    I feel sorry for your SIL as she's the one who won't be gifted with one of your fabulous, hand-made quilts! :D