Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This hurt my feelings >
  • This hurt my feelings

• This hurt my feelings

Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM

My grandmother was of the generation of polyester. All her clothes she made were all polyester. She took the left over fabric and made quilts for all the grandkids. She cut 2 1/2 inch squares and sewed them all together and put a polyester back on them too! It was a lot of work now that I know what she did. These quilts I had made fun of too. (And I am ashamed to admit this to this day.)
    But my kids loved those quilts. They were double bed size! They started coming apart and my kids came to me and asked if I would sew some of the little squares back together. I said "really"??? You like this?? This polyester? (This was before I started quilting.) Well I sewed them back together and they still use them to this day. They are both in their 20's now and those quilts are on their couches.
    So the comments are so right.........until you have made a quilt you do not appreciate the work, time and talent that goes into it! I hope to see my grandmother in heaven one day and tell her how much I now appreciated her efforts to make such a lovely gift for her grandchildren. (She made polyester elephants for them too and they loved them just as much!)
    And when someone asks "How long did it take you to make that quilt?"
    You reply "10 years (or however long you have been quilting)". Because each quilt we make teaches us a little more about our craft and gives us each a little more experience and talent!
    Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM

That is sad that she never even saw it. I made one for my Dad , wheelchair size that had most of the handprints of kids GC and GGC on it. I made it well so he could use it. He never did , It was too nice. LOL Well after he died my stepmom sent it back to me and my brother claimed it. He appreciates and will cherish this.Only time my family EVER got together on anything. lol
    Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by pam1966
    Yes, I got my feelings hurt. :roll: It was a remark that my SIL made. Bless her heart, she's pretty clueless, and I should consider the source, but it still upset me.

I was starting on a quilt for my mother. My SIL had come over to visit, and asked me what I was working on. So I told her. She then said to my dh, "At least she saves you money by making gifts!"

I didn't say a word. But what I wanted to say was....do you have any idea how much fabric costs nowadays? Not to mention all the time and effort that goes into this? I know you can trot on down to Bed Bath & Beyond and buy a comforter set on sale, yes I understand that. But for the money that a lot

of quilts have in them (not counting our "labor")...we could go out and buy something in five minutes.

Now that seems like my two SIL ------the crone in the cupboard and the witch in the wardrobe; I remember clearly the latter criticised me knitting with wool and not nylon as it was very expensive and could buy a waistcoat in that cheaper, like your SIL she does not know the cost/quality/personal touch/love that goes into your special gift. FORGET HER ,she's not worth your upset.

I guess it hurt me more because she didn't even consider the fact that I'm making this as a gift....something that I've made myself. My dh told me not to worry about it, that she takes after his mother and blurts out things without even thinking.

I know all this, but it still bugs me. :lol:
    Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM

She's not only clueless, she's brainless! Somebody should tell her people make quilts for a lot of reasons and saving money does not even come close to making the list. I make reversible photo quilts for my gkids' high school graduations and by the time I add up the fabric, thread and photo transfer sheets it probably runs $120 - $150. Just say a prayer for her and her brainless, tactless mind and let it go.
    Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM

jlquilter wrote "Those who don't get it don't get quilts again."

yep that pretty shortens by list sometimes...I have a best friend of 20 yrs. love her to death but she has hurt my feelings about my so called "homemade gifts" guess who has never received a quilt from me, all her children have and have thanked me repeatedly....also if I see one of my quilts not being taken care, [within reason-as kids tend to be alittle rougher] you don't get another one.

I also experienced friends who think you can just WHIP it up...and then a couple days later call to see if you are done yet...talk about wanting to reach through the phone....GET A CLUE!
    Hugs
    Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 AM

My guess is that perhaps she just didn't know what's involved in making a quilt. I see no reason why you couldn't just laughingly explain everything to her. Then, if you ever make her a quilt, she'll know just how valuable it is and will really appreciate it and you for going to so much trouble to create something beautiful just for her.
    Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM

I was talking to a clerk at my favorite bookstore the other day and mentioned that I quilted. She got all excited and asked how much I would charge to make her a quilt. I laughed and told her she couldn't afford it. Quilts are a work of love and I give them away lol. I could never make one for money.
    Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 PM

OMG! Making a quilt is FAR more expensived than buying soimething and is meant as a gift to cherish for years. I'm amazed she could be so cruel and clueless! Keep making them for those who know what they're getting and appreciate it.
    Old 03-11-2010, 01:34 PM

I would rather know if they do NOT want a quilt than to take one but not take care of it (wash it many times and with bleach, use it tacked up to a window ,in a dog kennel or some other horrid thing) Money speaks loud. If they want one, they pay you for the material, workmanship and total hours it took to make. Then see if they will complain and criticize. Have them look at fabrics online such as Hancocks of Pudacah and tell them how much they would need for the size they want. You calculate your hoursand the intricacy of the pattern before giving a final cost.
    Old 03-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Sounded too catty to be just clueless.....think maybe she is jealous of your talent??????? I would rather have anything made by someone, especially for me....gifts can be cold, they can be the "correct thing" to do, or they can be something given of yourself to someone.....there is no price tag on the heart, which involves your time, your talent, your thoughts, YOU as a person! You just consider the source, someone too shallow to know the true meaning of love and being a "real" person! Money can't buy your heart! Keep up the wonderful work!