Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I Am An Addict >
  • I Am An Addict

• I Am An Addict

Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 PM

I wish I lived close to you! I'd invite you to my house so we could sew together and in no time you would be enjoying that fabric in a whole new way. Only God makes perfect things! Maybe you need to make something for someone. Maybe you need a deadline. I always work better under pressure! I have the opposite problem. I have about 50 projects planned and not enough time to start and finish them.
    Old 06-29-2012, 04:17 PM

Think of it this way Linda, every boo boo that could happen in a quilt that you make......it's just a love booboo.....go for it!!
    Old 06-29-2012, 05:08 PM

Well it sounds like you have all the knowledge, just jump in! But I hear you on the perfectionist comment. I finally had to embrace my errors as "the specialness of that particular quilt". It took me a few quilts to really embrace my errors, but now I enjoy them. It gives me the freedom to just finish the dang thing (LOL) and send it on to someone I love.
    Old 06-30-2012, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by barny
    Don't you know there is nothing "perfect" in this world? Go for it. People used to put a boo-boo in their quilts . I don't know why, but they did.
    One of the early books I purchased, there was a quote in the beginning of the book. "Only God could make a perfect quilt."

I found that I didn't have to make sure there were booboos, they came naturally to me.
    Old 06-30-2012, 05:39 AM

Then we are all addicts, because I think we all do this!
    Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 AM

Linda; I think that's what kits are all about. The designer has all the pattern ,fabrics,directions ; worked out for us. And this is not a bad thing.Joanns has this packaged as a block of the month. Many quilt shops have quilt kits. I have done several; and enjoyed most. Another Linda
    Old 06-30-2012, 07:37 AM

To enjoy quilting, doesn't mean you have to make quilts. There are nice table runner, table topper, quilted bag etc., patterns out there, lots for free. And they don't take as long as a quilt !
    Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies. I will spend time in my craft room today. Hopefully I will have something to show soon. I see so many what I consider perfect quilts on this board and I have always felt I couldn't measure up. Now I understand I don't have to. I do wish I had friends to quilt with. I guess I can do that with the members of the board. We don't have to be in the same room to quilt together.

Linda
    Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Someone once said if you want perfect, buy a machine made quilt at Walmart. A handmade quilt will have some flaws and that's what makes it beautiful.
    Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 AM

You sound an awful lot like my mom. She had everything under the sun for quilting/sewing. From Bernina Sewing machines to sergers and embroidery machines she had it all. She was always buying fabric etc. to make whatever project and then getting side tracked by something else and off on another tangent, but she loved sorting her fabric, washing and ironing then folding and organizing. She had piles for projects setting around she had tubs and bins put away. Books on shelves books in the bedroom, living room, kitchen... where ever she sat so she had something to look at. Her buttons she loved to sit and sort then string on thread to keep them together. She bought this big beautiful thread cabinet that overflowed wonderful threads for any kind of sewing you could dream up. When she passed away my sister sold everything for herself but I still have my skills my mother taught me and the love of color, fabric, texture and sewing. So just remember all of the quilting/sewing that you have accumulated rubs off on those around you and you are enjoying the journey just in a different way than others. I wish we lived closer we could have fun me creating and you collecting! What a team. Enjoy your journey.