Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >
  • I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

• I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM

I quilt my own om my Tin Lizzie. I bought it second-hand as a retirement present to myself. Best thing I've ever done for myself.
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:28 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I do all of my own quilting, nothing fancy tho because I only have a machine with a 6 inch throat. I would like to have the charity quilt I'm working on( that will be auctioned off) done by an LA but I can't afford it.
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM

I have quilted my own quilts so far...but the largest I've made is about 60x70. I am currently working on a queen and a full size quilts and don't really want to quilt them on my home machine, as I struggled with the bulk of last one. This being said, I am also having trouble getting used to the idea of someone else quilting for me, I want my quilts to be all mine...I have the option of renting a long arm, so will be looking into that option. Although I have to say, almost anyone would do a better job quilting than me, but hey, I want my signature on my quilts,lol. Plus, ask my hubby, I have hard time sharing credit :oops: U :lol: :mrgreen:
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM

I do both. For a long time I didn't have any way to machine quilt larger quilts so I sent the larger quilts to longarm quilters. Now I can quilt some larger quilts myself but if I want really special quilting I send them to a longarm quilter. By doing some myself I can save up the money to pay for custom quilting.
    Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM
    Banned

I quilt my own on a Gammill Classic. I have been doing customer quilts since 1993. I also want to thank the people on this board for the quilts I have done for them. I do meandering,pantographs and some free motion. Check wih me for my current quilting special.
    Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by candi
    I have quilted my own quilts so far...but the largest I've made is about 60x70. I am currently working on a queen and a full size quilts and don't really want to quilt them on my home machine, as I struggled with the bulk of last one. This being said, I am also having trouble getting used to the idea of someone else quilting for me, I want my quilts to be all mine...I have the option of renting a long arm, so will be looking into that option. Although I have to say, almost anyone would do a better job quilting than me, but hey, I want my signature on my quilts,lol. Plus, ask my hubby, I have hard time sharing credit :oops: U :lol: :mrgreen:
    I kind of have trouble with going to a show and seeing a piecing ribbon on a quilt that's a remarkably simple pieced pattern but beautifully and elaborately quilted. When they say that ' quilting often makes the quilt' they ain't kidding.

Locally, they've started giving ribbons for both now but it's TEAMWORK regardless of whether the piecer gives credit or not.

Having said that, I wonder how many quilters allow themselves to take full credit for a longarm artists' work away from a quilt show--especially when giving a quilt as a gift.
    Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM

I haven't. Kind of need to actually make the quilts I have ideas for before I can think of asking a long arm quilter (I'm getting there though!) But honestly...I'm not sure how willing I'd be to bring one in. I still consider myself inexperianced and I would wonder if the LA quilter would find my quilting skills laughable.

Have you posted pictures of any of your charity quilts? I would love to see them!

I have sent some of mine out in the past - I wish I could find somebody locally though - because of the cost of shipping X 2

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I do all of my own quilting, nothing fancy tho because I only have a machine with a 6 inch throat. I would like to have the charity quilt I'm working on( that will be auctioned off) done by an LA but I can't afford it.

Originally Posted by bj
    Smaller ones I do myself. Anything larger than a baby quilt I let my LA friend do. She is so good and my machine doesn't have a lot of room to maneuver.
    me too
    Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 PM

So far I have quilted my own but if I could find a good reasonably priced LAQ locally I think I would give it a try. I have about 8 tops to do!