Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I am plunging into free motion.... >
  • I am plunging into free motion....

• I am plunging into free motion....

Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 AM
    Power Poster

Proper posture is the key to no strain. Sit with your back straight in the chair. The height of your sewing should be where your arms are bent at the elbows and your hands rest on the sewing quilt surface. You should look like this when machine quilting on a domestic machine L with the L also being your arm bent. You are looking down on your sewing not looking into it. DO NOT extend your neck forward, keep it straight and drop your head down. After I learned to sit properly I can sit and sew all day with no back, shoulder or neck pain. It works great for machine quilting. I have more control and it's easier to see what I'm doing.
    Old 03-28-2009, 08:24 AM
    Power Poster

So many good hints. Adjusting my chair really helped and I never quilt without my music. Even so I still have to stop and remind myself to relax my shoulders sometimes. It's getting better.
    Old 03-28-2009, 08:34 AM
    Power Poster

I am in a similar situation and want to move from straight-line to free-motion stitching. Our guild had mentor night this month and machine quilting was one of the demos.

The lady said to first make sure that your setup is at the right hight. If your table is too high or the chair too low, you will have to shrug your shoulder UP.

She also said to anchor the quilt with all the straight stitches first. That way you can focus on the "between" areas and not have to worry about shifting.

She recommended to start on a community service quilt to practice. Not that the recipient doesn't want a nice quilt, but they are going to be less critical if it isn't perfect.

Lastly, some of the ladies use preprinted panels or the fabric on the back for the free motion work. The print provides a pattern you can follow and you don't have to worry about seams.
    Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 AM
    HMK

I put one of those heated rice bags on my shoulders and the heat helps me relax and the wee bit of weight of the bag helps keep my shoulders down.
    Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Proper posture is the key to no strain. Sit with your back straight in the chair. The height of your sewing should be where your arms are bent at the elbows and your hands rest on the sewing quilt surface. You should look like this when machine quilting on a domestic machine L with the L also being your arm bent. You are looking down on your sewing not looking into it. DO NOT extend your neck forward, keep it straight and drop your head down. After I learned to sit properly I can sit and sew all day with no back, shoulder or neck pain. It works great for machine quilting. I have more control and it's easier to see what I'm doing.
    So very right about this!!! I spent 13 years in sewing factory...... sewing 8 hours a day! (10 years making button holes men's suit coats and 3 sewing "V's" in the collars for T-shirts)
    Setting the right angle makes ALL the difference in the world!!!!
    Of course that is not like setting at home and doing what you LIKE to sew!!! :lol: :lol: