Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I am a quilter >
  • I am a quilter

• I am a quilter

Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
    Power Poster

I think we all need a price list! Type up a list of simple alterations and price them according to how annoying they are. Have it ready for the next time someone asks for a repair or alteration. I know replacing a zipper in a pair of pants on my list is going to be $50 because I don't even do my own!
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 AM

I suppose some people just are not quilters OR SEWERS !!! My stepdaughter was always bringing clothes to be altered so one Christmas, I bought her a nice sewing machine. Four !! years later, that machine is still in the box!! (last year the daughter-in-law needed a machine temporarily (hers broke)and borrowed this one. SHE HAD TO ACTUALLY OPEN THE 'UNOPENED' BOX!! IT CAME IN!!
    So, I guess as some of us are only quilters, maybe sewers too, some of 'them' are not even sewers!!! God bless them !:lol:
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 AM

I agree with carhop, If this was a good friend or neighbor I probably would have done this. I do sew and quilt but I no longer make everything like I used to. I have done things for friends and family many times but they do for me when I need it too.
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:29 AM
    j

I know how, wouldn't take much time, so I would charge and do it. --J
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 AM

When one of my good friends and I are shopping, she'll look at a blouse or skirt and say, "You could make that!" and I tell her, "I am not a sewer."

Why is it so hard for them to understand? I can barely sew a straight line! How could I do sleeves, gathers, elastic, fit it to me, etc.?
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    Originally Posted by crafty pat
    I had a neighbor who told me she wanted me to sew for her. She said how great to have a neighbor she could get to sew for her so she did not have to hire someone to do it. I told her I only sew for family. She never brought it up again.

To say something like that requires one large set of stones.....am thinking I would have told her that I don't sew for anyone outside my household for free....and here is my pricelist (of course with prices beyond what she would pay!).....LOL
    A family member of mine has that large set of stones. We had decided to try the craft show route with the bags I make. I was making the bags and she was doing the selling at the show. It lasted right up until I heard her tell someone that I was sewing for her. The hell I was!

On the other hand, I would hem as many pairs of my FIL's pants as he wanted me to because he appreciates it so darn much.
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 AM

I have a friend who keeps asking me to make a canvas cover for her outdoor glider. I just tell her that my very expensive sewing machine was made for quilting (and she buys this) and I wouldn't gamble with such heavy material unless she would buy me a new machine if mine broke. I even told her the list price of my machine. I think that made it too expensive for her to consider. :roll: :roll:
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:46 AM

I used to sew for others, believe me, its a thankless job! now I just say "no".
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:50 AM
    Power Poster

I hem things for my best friends--others NO.
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:53 AM

Years ago, one of my best friends asked me to make her curtains. I told her if she got the pattern, I'd teach her how. I'd do one side, she, the other. We did. Since then we've made many things. Same rule applied. As women do, we stitch and bitch each time we make something.

If she had been just a neighbor or acquaintance, I would tell her where we go for alterations...and not hem her pants. I probably would have told her where she could find a JoAnn's coupon, not given her mine. Unless I was sure I wouldn't use it.

The fact that she knew there were other means of decreasing the length of her pants, seems a bit odd to me. I'm sure she knows where she can get them altered and didn't want to spend any (or that much) money!