Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I am tired...stash sorting? >
  • I am tired...stash sorting?

• I am tired...stash sorting?

Old 06-07-2010, 02:54 PM

Just put christmas fabrics together, and other holidays. Other wise I just have it folded and ready to pull...I sorted once by color and it kept me from be open minded when I didn't have something I wanted.
    Old 06-07-2010, 03:05 PM

mine's folded on shelves in absolutely no order at all...

i share my studio w/dd & ddil. they like it this way, because they can always find something they want & i usually don't know it's missing.

they have learned to not finish a pc, because i may not know how much i have, but i'm pretty famous for saying, "i have this pc of purple, (or blue, or geeen etc), let me find it. "

t
    Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM

OK all you wonderfully organizes ladies are great. I am glad you spend so much time keeping fabrics straight, jars nad bottles facing to the front, etc. While you were organizing I finished a quilt top. LOL. To each his own. I am of course joking. I fold most of my stash and it is placed on a shelf by color and granduating colors, then I also keep my FQ's in clear shoe boxes by color and/or themese. Now I have an idea for my Grannie's chest she left me. Her drawers are 6 down and have two drawers perfect to line up fat qtrs. I am going to buy some comic boards. I saw that on here. Haven't actually seen them yet but it looks neater than just piling fabric. My fabric towers get so tall they lean and eventually fall over. LOL. My mom has a hall closet full of boxed shoes and on each box in the front by the label, she has a picture of the shoes in that box. It was fun seeing how others organize,thank you
    Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 PM

This why I don't sort by color or size etc...Had a friend do this and I sew 4 quilt tops while she was still sorting..lol..
    Old 06-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Pab58 I had to smile at your post. The way you arrange everything, reminds me so much of my dear Mother, who has been gone for 20 yrs. now. My Mother arranged her pantry so well that we always said even if it was dark, Mother could go to the pantry and pull out a certain can vegetable or can of soup. My pantry does not look like hers and Mother would really cringe if she saw mine now. I think it is so great to be that organized.
    Whenever my fiance can't find the cinnamon when he makes French toast, I can tell him exactly where it is! He's finally catching on to my system.
    Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM

I'm more organized with my books and patterns for sewing, my threads, buttons, and other sewing things than in my kitchen. Perhaps that's because I don't like to cook and really don't like being in the kitchen. it's so nice when our kids come in at the same time, because both of them like to cook, especially our son. He only gets to come home twice a year now for a week at a time, but he has the weeks menu planned and does the cooking. I clean up the mess which I don't mind doing, since he does all the cooking.Our daughter likes to cook but not as much as our son. He loves to be able to get out and BBQ or grill, and I love the fact that he does lol. I am still working on my sewing mess. I have some more fabric to get organized like I want it and then must start cleaning the rest of the house so I can finally quilt this summer.
    Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzquilts
    This why I don't sort by color or size etc...Had a friend do this and I sew 4 quilt tops while she was still sorting..lol..
    I simply organized it once and have kept it up. As I get new pieces I put them where they should go. It doesn't interfere with making my quilts. For me, it actually aids me in getting them together much faster. I don't have to dig through everything to find a particular color, etc. I found out very quickly that when I had to do that, I had such a mess when I was finished digging that I spent gobs of time getting things cleaned up and back where they needed to go. :roll: It was such a waste of my time. ;-)
    Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Not at all! I do the same thing and I have a large collection of books that are shelved by alphabet. Never considered myself anal, just organized.
    Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
    I keep my Christmas fabric, FQs and solids separate from the rest of the stash. I arrange all of the fabric in my stash by color then from light to dark within the colors (i.e. lightest shade of yellow to darkest shade of yellow). I just love opening up the closet doors and seeing all those beautiful colors. It's so much easier to locate what I want. Believe it or not I even hang my clothes by item and then color! DVDs and video tapes are in alphabetical order. These things might sound crazy, but I never have a problem locating exactly what I need! Does that make me anal??!!
    I sort my clothes the same way. I even sub-sort by long sleeve, short sleeve, no sleeve and straps! Shorts, capris and long pants!
    Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 PM

I keep all my holiday stashes together by the holidays.
    then arrange the rest by size and then by color groups
    it really does make things so much easier to find this way.