Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I bit the bullet >
  • I bit the bullet

• I bit the bullet

Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Thanks to the inspiration and encouraging comments by mainelady (recently of the silk avatar quilt), I bit the bullet and started tonight on my Silk Tempest quilt by Cherry House Quilts. Now, I didn't get far because I was working in the family room while watching TV with the hubs and my ironing space is tiny. But I did get the lightweight fusible ironed to the first 3/4yd piece of silk and got that piece cut and subcut. So, three more nights should get the big pieces of fabric ready and those are the bulk of the quilt. The fusible really did make handling and cutting the silk easier. It's a simple quilt of squares and rectangles and I think if I was doing it in cottons I would take some short cuts and do some chain piecing. But not with the silk and definitely not the first time. Baby steps and short-term goals.
    Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    Thanks to the inspiration and encouraging comments by mainelady (recently of the silk avatar quilt), I bit the bullet and started tonight on my Silk Tempest quilt by Cherry House Quilts. Now, I didn't get far because I was working in the family room while watching TV with the hubs and my ironing space is tiny. But I did get the lightweight fusible ironed to the first 3/4yd piece of silk and got that piece cut and subcut. So, three more nights should get the big pieces of fabric ready and those are the bulk of the quilt. The fusible really did make handling and cutting the silk easier. It's a simple quilt of squares and rectangles and I think if I was doing it in cottons I would take some short cuts and do some chain piecing. But not with the silk and definitely not the first time. Baby steps and short-term goals.
    did you use the right fusible...it is a tricot for silk not the regular that is used for cottons!
    Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 PM

Good for you! Can't wait to see pictures.
    Old 05-30-2011, 09:09 PM

You go girl. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the completed quilt in the very near future.
    Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 AM

Good for u! Send pics!!
    Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 AM

Look forward to seeing the quilt!
    Old 05-31-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    did you use the right fusible...it is a tricot for silk not the regular that is used for cottons!
    OK I've been wondering this myself. I'm going to be using a ton of men's silk ties in a quilt and have been thinking about stabilizing them. I really haven't looked to see what's out there for this yet, just have the normal lite fusible here. Is there a brand you can recommend?
    Old 05-31-2011, 02:48 AM

I hope we get to see lots of photos of your progress!!!! Can't wait to see what you do!
    Old 05-31-2011, 05:36 AM
    Power Poster

Wonderful!! Can't wait to see your progress :D
    Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 AM
    Power Poster

Hope to see pictures!