Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I can't believe I did this!! >
  • I can't believe I did this!!

• I can't believe I did this!!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 AM

No,you are not the only one who has done this.I loaded a quilt around Christmas time and as I quilted it I realized the pattern would have looked better if I had loaded it the other way.It hapens.I have "Red Snapprs" so it is easy load and unload then reload,but still aggrivating.Especially when you need to add fabric.I haven' had that happen in years,but,my life isn't over yet.Just regroup,forgive yourself,and move on.I've had my Gammill for 9 years.So,I am not a newbie either.
    Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 AM

That sounds like how I quilt. I have made so many mistakes on measuring for the backing that I now just add an extra 6 to 8 inches on each side. It works for me, but it is a waste of fabric.
    Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 AM

I just hope it's yours...
    Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 AM
    Power Poster

Oh my Mary!!! Bless your heart. Please realize that other people do silly mistakes like this too. I have, more times than I can count. Especially when I am finally out from under the gun.

I am a great organizer and performer when there is lots going on (like the holidays) But, when I relax from it all, I cave. I don't know why this is. Maybe it is a rebellion on the part of my brain... LOL! But, I know to watch myself closely at those points in time.

The nice thing about it .. Tomorow is another day. Be kind to yourself and have a good laugh.
    Old 01-21-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l
    Sorry for all your frustrations. About the only way that I can remember to keep from doing that is as soon as I get the backing ready for the frame is to put a Large safety pin in one end, so that I know that end has to be loaded first. Also do the same with the quilt top and batting.
    What a brilliant idea! Wish I had known that years ago!! Thanks
    Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by glorcour
    When I make the same dumb error twice, I shut everything off and do something else, maybe a cuppa, and go back later
    Me too! I need to take a break here because I've given myself a limit of three times for the same error. On a small scale like making a block I throw it into the scraps pile for something else and restart the whole block.

But after a nice break (and indeed a cuppa really helps) I'm usually fine to continue.
    Old 01-21-2012, 06:04 PM

Some time ago I decided that my trademark on my quilts would be some type of mistake in the quilt. Not really, but yeah, sort of!! If I make a mistake, I first start to get upset by it. Then I quickly switch into the "this will be the I spy block/section in this quilt!!" I decided that I wouldn't drive myself batty over it. Of course, some things you have to fix in some manner in order to finish - and that is frustrating. Love, love, love the story given where the recipient really liked that section of the quilt (that was added in after the quilt was cut in half).

I did a Triple Rail Fence quilt a number of years ago (think that is what it is called) where I managed to get one of the triple rails the wrong way. Didn't notice it when FMQing it, only noticed it after it was opened at Christmas by my parents and put on the bed. Actually, took me a couple of days even then, when I just happened to glance at it just so. Oh well - I considered that block to be the "I Spy" block in that quilt!!!
    Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 PM

I have discovered that if I put a safety pin at the top of each layer as I finish it when I put it together or send to one of LAers, it is easy to put it together right. I always let them know that the pins are on the top edge of the piece.