Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me. >
  • I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me.

• I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    Binding isn't hard to do. You just need a good instructor. Have you tried watching any of the tutorials on it?
    I have, and I understand how to do it, but I'm still new to it and need practice. And perhaps, I need to learn to bind while my little girls aren't trying to distract me....lol.
    Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by margoee
    O.K., I will make you a deal......I was working with my container of seed beads last night and guess where all my beads are today?? You got it....on the floor....I mean everywhere on the floor.....what a mess!! So here is the deal....you come over to my house and pick up all the seed beads and separate them and I will rip out and re-do your binding
    Now see...seed beads and sorting is right up my alley!
    Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bon-bon
    Congsratulations, you just graduated from beginner to experienced quilter!!!
    Yay!!!!! This one definitely made me smile!
    Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
    Did I understand this correctly? You sewed the foled edge of the binding strip to the raw edge of the quilt? Just had the binding turned backwards than what you wanted?
    If I am not mistaken, you should have enough binding to still fold over to the back, fold under the raw edges, and sew. If you do double bindings, the fold was the center that usually goes to the backside for stitching. It may not be as big of an edge, and you may need to trim the quilt edge down to like 1/8 inch, but give this a try before you rip out everything. At least I would try. "Jack" may be my 11th finger, but I try to let him rest as much as possible.
    Yes, that's exactly what I did. I think I will try and see if I can still make it look right, but I think I've made my peace with having to rip it out and redo. After all, I need the practice!
    Old 02-15-2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888
    Well if we lived closer I would do it for you! I don't mind doing binding and I even hand stitch the back down. It's a great thing to do in the evenings in front of the TV, especially when the weather is cold.
    I will DITTO this response. I like doing bindings. Of course, I haven't perfected going all the way around with one strip yet....mitered corners and the great way of finishing up the ends. But I'm working on that. I still like to do opposite sides of the quilt, finish those, and then do the remaining sides.

Good luck to you on binding your MIL's quilt.
    Old 02-15-2012, 04:23 AM

what would happen if you serge or satin stitch the raw edge and then sew it down?
    Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 AM

I'd be willing to bet most of us have done this at some point. That's why some wise man/woman invented the thread ripper. Don't get discouraged, it will get better. I've been at this about 7 years and I'm still waiting though.
    Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 AM

I know I would feel less than comfortable machine stitching and catching the bottom of the binding all in one. I don't like the look, so I always hand stitch the bottom of the binding. As others had stated the "Sharon Schamber" You Tube on perfect binding is a life saver. I vowed that I would learn how to make perfect binding and miltered corners. I watched the You tube video four times, grasp every word she said and the next quilt turned out perfect...now I too love binding! Keep at it, you too will love binding also.
    Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 AM

You're not stupid - you're just all stressed out about this. As my grandmother used to say, "It's ok - now rip it out and do it right."..... not very comforting when you're in the middle of feeling stupid, but it's what has to be, if you want it right. You WILL finish this quilt.... you WILL finish this quilt.... you WILL finish this quilt. Everybody's watching you now. <G>
    Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by MamaO2011
    Binding hates me. I hate binding.

Is my only option a date with the seam ripper? I am sure I will never finish this quilt now. I am soooo frustrated with the binding and what a stupid mistake I made!!!!!

Your not alone with this hate relationship. The least favourite part of quilting for me is binding them. I currently have 5 quilts, 2 table runners, 4 place mats all sitting in a pile waiting for their bindings. Only yesterday I had a small wall hanging which had to completed causing me know end of angst as I had 3 attempts at actually attaching the binding then when I sewed the binding to the wall hanging had to remove it twice. Not good, so by the 3rd attempt for that I got fed up and cut the whole lot off reducing the size of the hanging and then attached the binding for the 4th time. Have not finished it yet. I can't cut it down again so if I don't get it right this time then "my goose is cooked as they say"