Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I could cry right now. >
  • I could cry right now.

• I could cry right now.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    it looks exactly like it should just the way it is.

it's all snuggly-wuggly and welcoming.

:thumbup:
    you took the thoughts right out of my mouth! agree 100%...it's a quilt i would "love" and "USE"

We are often our own worst critics...one of the best things that go into our quilts is our love!
    Old 11-14-2010, 03:56 PM
    Power Poster

Put it away and look at it two days from now.

It has changed a little bit - but it's still GOOD!

(Do you hate your DM and you DMIL because they have a few wrinkles now?)
    Old 11-14-2010, 04:03 PM

I STRIVE for that puckery look. To me, that puckery look makes it look more like an old quilt.

I am sorry you are stressed over it and I understand how disappointing it is when the finished project doesn't match the picture in your head. That being said, give her the quilt with the love it was made with. Any MIL worth making a quilt for will love it puckers and all.
    Old 11-14-2010, 04:03 PM

I can't tell from the photos. My thought is this -- be thankful this happened while you still had it. Imagine how your MIL would have felt if it happened to her after she had washed it. I'm sure she would have felt like she had ruined something you made.
    Old 11-14-2010, 04:06 PM

I finished a quilt a few months ago that I had been hand quilting for a long time. It was a cream background (lot's of it) so through the years it got dirty. When I was done, I knew it had to be washed. I always pre-wash my fabrics, and the batting was Hobbs 80/20, so I was surprised how much shrinkage there was. I don't actually know if it shrank alot, but it was very wrinkled and puckered. It was kind of an antiqueish type pattern so puckered was ok, but I was surprised. Are you new to quilting? I only ask because maybe you haven't seen many washed (puckered) quilts, and you didn't realize that it's fairly normal.
    Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM

{{{{{{Deema}}}}}}} Your quilt is so beautiful! Sounds like your MIL is a wonderful person and no doubt she will be thrilled with the quilt. Try not to be so hard on yourself.
    Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM

I too, like "wrinkly" quilts which is why I don't prewash my fabric.

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
    I love quilts that are "wrinkly." Looking at your pictures. I would be thrilled to get that quilt. I think it is charming, honestly. :)
    Old 11-14-2010, 04:33 PM

i dont think it looks that bad either she will love it because it came from you
    Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 PM

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I personally love the wrinkly look of my quilts, but I've never had them distort, or have the wavy binding you describe. You put so much love into it, and it really is beautiful I am hoping a good steam iron can do it justice. You stated you have a great relationship with you MIL, and you don't want the quilt to be a future problem for her. So be honest when she opens it, tell her what happened and tell her to give it back to you each time she wants to wash it. You can wash it and steam iron it for her and get it looking nice again! I truely believe it will be a beautiful gift.
    Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
    I finished a quilt a few months ago that I had been hand quilting for a long time. It was a cream background (lot's of it) so through the years it got dirty. When I was done, I knew it had to be washed. I always pre-wash my fabrics, and the batting was Hobbs 80/20, so I was surprised how much shrinkage there was. I don't actually know if it shrank alot, but it was very wrinkled and puckered. It was kind of an antiqueish type pattern so puckered was ok, but I was surprised. Are you new to quilting? I only ask because maybe you haven't seen many washed (puckered) quilts, and you didn't realize that it's fairly normal.
    I am fairly new to quilting, yes. I've never had a quilt pucker like that when washing, so it was a pretty big shock. I haven't had a chance to iron it yet, but it is starting to grow on me... It really is a LOT puckered though...I mean, there are folds of fabric from my quilt top that stand up a quarter inch or more in some places. It could be that I'm just not used to it, but that seems excessive...?

Anyway, thank you so much, everyone. I really feel a lot better about it now than I did when I first took it out of the wash. And I know my mother in law will love it. My mom said the same as somebody here - "Give it to her and say nothing...she will never know it wasn't supposed to be like that!" :lol: