Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I decided to try spray basting!! >
  • I decided to try spray basting!!

• I decided to try spray basting!!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:26 AM
    Power Poster

I have no sensible suggestions (I don't use spray baste). But seems like you have some great ideas from the others. You have so many to do (all beautiful I might add)...maybe you could have a "basting party" and rope in all able bodied adults....no wine 'til they're all done though!
    Old 04-13-2011, 03:25 AM
    ns

Wal Mart sells a quilt spray. If you spray your quilt one day and quilt it the next, it stays better. I love quilt spray, I think it really holds the quilt together well.
    Old 04-13-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I cleared a wall in the hall way because I wanted to try spray basting. This after I spent most of the pin basting a quilt and my back is now aching.
    I hung the backing on the wall then sprayed the basting but the batting wouldn't stick to it so I pin the batting up with the backing. I sprayed the batting then stuck the top to it and it worked. But I don't know why the batting would not stick to backing. I went ahead and pinned the layers together. I like the whole spray basting idea but i am not sure this is something i can afford to do. Do any of you have any suggestions for me as to a brand that is inexpensive but still works great.

I have 40 or so quilts to sandwich and quilt by June 24th to sell at a charity event to help Tymeless hearts raise money for CHD (child heart disease)

1 more question how many baby to full size quilts can you baste with 1 can?

Thank you!
    To answer your last question first, not enough. I too find it just too expensive. And now that I have my long arm, I don't need spray baste. How's that for a money saving solution :?: :roll:
    It is difficult if you don't have a large table to lay it out on. I have been known to lay an old sheet over my bed and spread my backing on that, spray baste, lay the batting...you get the idea. My bed is high so that worked well for me. Even with a coupon, it is still expensive.
    Old 04-13-2011, 04:25 AM

I found spray basting at Walmart for $5 a can. I tried it on a few small sample pieces and it worked OK. had some needle stickyness but not bad. Then I spraybasted a larger wall hanging with it and left it for a few days and it worked great! I think it just needed a little time to dry or cure or something. That is all I use now, but I always give it time to cure before I start the stitching. I've left it for as long as a couple of months and it still holds just fine.

Patsy Thompson has a great video for spray basting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwV8tUkhxUM
    Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 AM

I use June Taylor spray basting and I buy it at Wal-Mart
    for just about 1/2 the price that Joann's has.
    With one can I can spray baste a king size quilt with
    maybe a little left over. It just depends how heavey
    I spray. I have not had any problems with the spray
    and also I have been buying Wal-Marts cotton batting
    with no problems either. In this day of money is
    scarce it pays to shop thrifty.
    Old 04-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I won't use anything but 505 anymore. For me, it is worth the money!

They say to spray the batting; not sure why.

I think spray basting on a table is easier than on a wall. Also, I found out that it's a good idea to position the batting on the backing first, then fold back half the batting. Spray half of batting and reposition, then fold back other half, spray and reposition. First time I did it I sprayed the entire batting and then tried to position it. Never again! Much easier to do the half-and-half technique (whether on a wall or a table or floor).
    I never thought to try and do it half and half. I'm gonna try it next time. Thanks for the tip.
    Old 04-13-2011, 06:26 AM

I use Elmer's Glue spray found at walmart....no problem with it all
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 AM

I think spray basting on a table is easier than on a wall. Also, I found out that it's a good idea to position the batting on the backing first, then fold back half the batting. Spray half of batting and reposition, then fold back other half, spray and reposition. First time I did it I sprayed the entire batting and then tried to position it. Never again! Much easier to do the half-and-half technique (whether on a wall or a table or floor).
    That's how I do it too. Much more controllable.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 AM

Some sprays melt the poly batting, so you should only spray the cotton, not the batting, in that case. Cotton and wool batting is OK to spray.I get really good spray at the cheap dollar shop for $4.50 - the ones in the quilt shop cost $30.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Ditto on all...

Also after you spray, let it dry for 2-3 minutes first. I still pin a bit after spraying, but not nearly as much. I probably don't need to pin at all. I'm just paranoid. I love spray basting for doing my own SID or whatever.

Because I have asthma, I wear a face mask and spray baste in the garage. Its a pain to set up clean tables or a clean sheet on the floor, but worth it to me.

I only do my own quilting on smaller stuff, so I don't know how well it works for big quilts.