Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I decided to try spray basting!! >
  • I decided to try spray basting!!

• I decided to try spray basting!!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Hi All! Well, I tried spray basting with 505 but it just didn't work for me. While reading the various threads this morning I noted that someone had mentioned a hand basting video on YouTube that could be done sitting down and, with arthritis in my hips and knees that sounded like something to check into. And I'm sure glad I did. It's very innovative and you may like the idea as much as I do. Just go to: www.youtube.com and type "hand quilting" into the search box. There will be two videos that come up if you scroll down. After the first one is viewed, click on the second one and it will pick up where the first left off.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Originally Posted by Prism99
    I don't have a table that's big enough so I have to use the wall.
    A piece of plywood on saw horses out on the driveway will do the trick. I like to use some large clamps too, to keep everything in position.
    That would be great but I live in an apartment and there is not a lot of room even on the floors. I will figure something out. suppose I could always fix something up at my folks house.

I take mine over to church and use their large tables. Can no longer get on the floor, well, at least I can't get back up, and do not have a table large enough. Have done one wall hanging with 505 and love it. ♥
    Thank you everyone you all are awesome.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
    What kind of batting? It doesn't stick to poly batting well. I get a few large lap quilts from a can of spray baste.
    It is a poly batting. I didn't have a problem with the top sticking to the batting just the back. I think it's because I should have sprayed the batting and not the fabric.
    I know it is tough but use the floor instead of the wall. do half of the quilt then the other half. This has worked best for me.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM

I don't have a table that's big enough so I have to use the wall.
    Beds are great for spray basting. I have a king and I cover it with a big flannel sheet, covering as much of the head board as possible to protect from over spray. The quilt actually stays in place real well on the flannel. I position the batting on the backing, fold back half the batting, spray it & reposition it, fold back other half, spray & reposition again. Then position the quilt top and repeat the fold back, spray, reposition. Viola, beautifully layered quilt in no time. I mostly use June Taylor with no problem. Start with spraying lightly and giving it a few minutes to dry, seems to help with the tackiness. Directing the spray toward the center when spraying close to the edges helps with over spray. I never use poly batting, either warm & natural or wool. Wool LOVES spray basting.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 AM

I have found if I use anything with even a bit of poly (poly blend fabric or a batting with poly) I get sticking issues, but if everything is all cotton I will only use 505 or the Hobbs fusible batting, have gotten great results with both. I did a quick google search and the best price on the 505 I could find is 15.42 (dont know shipping, I think I have to actually go to check-out to see the shipping quote), here is the link http://www.supermart.com/505-spray-f...s-p-17010.aspx

On the hobbs fusible, watch for sales at connecting threads. they sell it in crib size and also queen size. I get more bang for my buck by getting the queen and then cutting it up (use it ALOT on my QAYG stuff), here is a link (not on sale at the moment tho) http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...usCtnBtng.html

Another good source on the Hobbs for me is Hobby Lobby, use the 40% coupons on the queen size and thats a great deal.

Post pics if you can of your 40 quilts (cant imagine doing that many), would love to see them, what a great thing you are doing.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 AM

A great uses for Joann's 50% coupons. I bought 3 cans on their last sale.
    Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Yup the bed works great! I don't even pin anything down to hold it in place. It all seems to stay put. I spray left to right(the batting) the width of the quilt and then about a foot down. I then smooth the top or backing down on top of it. And move my way down the quilt. I like to spray the batting instead of the fabric. Seems to stick better. And doing smaller portions it wont dry too fast on ya. And the walmart spray works great. I have used like 3-4 different kinds and I can't tell that one is any better than the other. Also be sure and shake it the full 2 minutes or whatever it says to do on the back of the cans.
    If you spray too heavy that might be why it wasn't sticking
    Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM

First of all, I tack an old sheet to my hallway wall and also set one on the floor beneath it. This takes care of overspray issues. Next, get the pets and kids out of the way so they don't stick to the wall or breathe the fumes. If I am making a large quilt I usually use a few pins to attach the bottom layer (back of quilt) face down to the sheet. Spray to completely cover. Wait a couple of minutes then cover with batting (I only use W&N 100% cotton). Smooth out all wrinkles without stretching and reposition if necessary. Spray batting and wait a couple of minutes. Then position quilt top face up smoothing out wrinkles without stretching. If your quilt is very large you may have to do half at a time but it is still way easier and quicker than hand basting or pin basting and helps to prevent shifting when you are quilting.

I have used 505, Sullivan's and June Taylor. I buy Sullivan's most often because it is less expensive than 505 (I get it on sale or with a coupon at Hancock Fabrics) and the fumes are not as bad as June Taylor. They all get the job done. If you are making lots of charity quilts you will really appreciate the amount of time you will be saving and the number of backaches you will be eliminating by using the spray basting method and you can be a bit frugal when applying it so you'll get several small quilts out of each can.
    Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 AM

I prefer to baste on a wall, it's easier for me than the floor, and I don't have a big table either. I put a big flannel sheet up on the wall first so that I don't get the spray on the wall, then put the backing on that. It sticks somewhat, but I use a few pins on the top to hold it on, I did not have a problem getting the batting to stick to the backing. I like 505 but I also use June Taylor.
    Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 AM

By the way ladies, the spelling of Susan's name is S-C-H-A-M- B-E-R. Don't mean to be picky about that but it is her name.Her tuts on basting are great. I would really like to use 505 but have been reluctant due to price but thanks for all the tips.