Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I decided to try spray basting!! >
  • I decided to try spray basting!!

• I decided to try spray basting!!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Have you tried Fusible batting where you just iron it on and it sticks...
    That's an idea. Thank you.
    That is what I got for my little girls quilt. I haven't tried it yet, but it is hanging on the wall to relax. I cut off the extra and used it on a purse. I have to say I am pleased, it stiffens the purse nicely. I am hoping the quilt won't be that stiff though. :D I'd be able to stand it up.
    Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 AM

I just spray basted a queen size quilt and it was fast and easy. I also use a table doing it one half at a time.
    I use 505 and it works and holds beautifully....you don't even need to use a lot. Spray(quickly and lightly)your backing, lay down the batting, spray the batting, then lay down your quilt top. Then I slide the whole quilt over and repeat the process for the other half. It does help considerably if you have someone that can stand at the other end of the table from you to assist in laying it out and smoothing it as you go.
    Good Luck!
    Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 AM

I am about to try this for the first time. I will post my results when I use it.
    Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 AM

I use the floor. I put down an old shower curtain to protect the floor/carpet. I lay the backing down and smooth it out. I spray a little in the middle and a little bit on the backing, then I lay the batting down. I fold back about half of the batting and spray it, press down and smooth. Do the other half. Flip the batting/backing over and smooth again. If you work quickly you can get any wrinkles out. Flip back over and lay down the topping. Fold back half the top and spray the batting, then smooth. Do the same again for the other half. Smooth again and you're done. I love the 505 bit I'll use the stuff in the light blue can, too.
    Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM

I used June Taylors and it worked great. Except I think that I sprayed to much the first few times with the half and half message. It kind puckered and I had to unstuck it and pin baste it back. But over all, I think that it is worth it. I did see a tutorial, if you hang on wall when doing the batting you have to pin it to keep the weight from pulling it off.

I will try it again, but I think the larger quilts tend to be a pain in the behind. It did work really well for a lap quilt. I did that on the floor, but boy oh boy my back was killing me when I was done, but my floor was clean. He He!

This sure beat removing all those pins out of the way.
    Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 AM

this spray basting video is great for using it in the wall... I'm really looking forward to doing it this way cuz my knees groan when I think of doing it on my tile floor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...8tUkhxUM#at=67
    Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I won't use anything but 505 anymore. For me, it is worth the money!

They say to spray the batting; not sure why.

I think spray basting on a table is easier than on a wall. Also, I found out that it's a good idea to position the batting on the backing first, then fold back half the batting. Spray half of batting and reposition, then fold back other half, spray and reposition. First time I did it I sprayed the entire batting and then tried to position it. Never again! Much easier to do the half-and-half technique (whether on a wall or a table or floor).
    Thanks for the hint on spraying half the batting at a time. I am just about to start my first sandwich ever, and am having a very hard time finding a place big enough to lay out a 70"X70"inch top. Your hint will make the job easier.
    Old 04-13-2011, 02:49 PM

I just started using the 505 spray and love it. I go out on my deck spread a sheet. It has worked wonderfully for me. I lay the batting down first then put the backing down on top smooth out all wrinkles and then peel back one end at a time to center spray and then keep smoothing. Wait a few minutes turn it over and lay the top on and do the ame again for the top. What a wonderful product worth every penny.
    Old 04-13-2011, 03:23 PM
    dd

Originally Posted by reeskylr
    That's an idea. Thank you.
    That is what I got for my little girls quilt. I haven't tried it yet, but it is hanging on the wall to relax. I cut off the extra and used it on a purse. I have to say I am pleased, it stiffens the purse nicely. I am hoping the quilt won't be that stiff though. :D I'd be able to stand it up.
    I didn't like the fusible batting. I thought it was too stiff and mine actually hard lumps in it from the fusible. Don't think I'll use it again. I laid it out on my cutting table to iron on, which worked nicely since it was a baby quilt. Normally I go to church and push a few tables together also. They aren't as high but the size is always right.
    Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM

I cleared a wall in the hall way because I wanted to try spray basting. This after I spent most of the pin basting a quilt and my back is now aching.
    I hung the backing on the wall then sprayed the basting but the batting wouldn't stick to it so I pin the batting up with the backing. I sprayed the batting then stuck the top to it and it worked. But I don't know why the batting would not stick to backing. I went ahead and pinned the layers together. I like the whole spray basting idea but i am not sure this is something i can afford to do. Do any of you have any suggestions for me as to a brand that is inexpensive but still works great.

I have 40 or so quilts to sandwich and quilt by June 24th to sell at a charity event to help Tymeless hearts raise money for CHD (child heart disease)

1 more question how many baby to full size quilts can you baste with 1 can?

Thank you!
    I did some trapunto on a quilt recently and I loved the spray basting for it. Seemed much simpler!